What's new

Polarity question. (1 Viewer)

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question on polarity. It wasn't until after I ran the speaker wires in the ceiling that it didn't have a line indicating one wire from the other. I ran a THX test which are available on some DVDs and really can't find a bad sound, for example, when it tests for in-phase, it sounds how it should, and when its out of phase, it sounds bad. even if i switch the wires and test it again. not sure if this makes sense. does polarity really matter if all the speakers are seperate? i remember when polarity was a problem back in high school when i had a sub box with 2 subs, you can definately hear a difference. well, anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

brucek

Second Unit
Michael,

Yep, polarity does matter.

I guess you realize that swapping the speaker leads on only one of the two speakers constitutes an out of phase condition. If you swap the leads on both, it will likely sound about the same when running the phase test.

Most zip wire always has some sort of telltale indicator to show a difference between the two insulated wires of the cable. Sometimes its color of the wire itself, or color of the insulators, or a ridge of some sort on the insulator of one lead. It would be unusal if this were not so. Check that out.

Either way, it would be very simple with a meter to determine which wire was which. Don't rely on your ears for this.

brucek

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
let me ask you this then, if you match up exactly from the receiver to the speakers red to red, and black to black. on all speakers, is there a possibility that i may be out of phase? or no chance...? thanks. where can i get such a meter?

brucek

Second Unit
Michael,

let me ask you this then, if you match up exactly from the receiver to the speakers red to red, and black to black. on all speakers, is there a possibility that i may be out of phase? or no chance...? thanks. where can i get such a meter?

If you do that, all your speakers will be in phase.

A simple $20 volt/ohm meter can be purchased at any Home Depot or similar outlet. The ohmeter will allow you to check for continuity of disconnected and unpowered wires.

If you have a cable with two wires running through a wall and you can't figure out at the other end which is which, you need to do a continuity check of one of the wires in the cable and then you'll know. If you have the cable disconnected at both ends, put one meter lead on one wire and the other meter lead on the other end wires. One will show a short and one will be open circuit. The one that shows a short is obviously the one connected to your ohmeter at the other end. Now the wires are identified.

You'll have to be creative about how you extend the 2 foot meter lead all the way across the floor to the other side where the cable exits the wall. Any old wire will do. Use your lawnmower extension cord if you have to. any wire will do.

brucek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks