What's new

Please send me your Euro Coins :D (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Hey, i was wondering if any of you nice neighbors in Europe would be willing to send me any of the new Euro Coins that have just come out.
Id like to collect the single euro dollar coins that are stamped with the different countries.
Im not all that familiar with them, but i think thers like 8 of them.
I really like the one with the OWL on it and the Gemini symbol.
Id gladly pay for shipping and actual value of the coin.
Please let me know, thank you :D

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Hey Henry ...

I was just thinking the same thing this afternoon.

Each of the Euro coins is stamped with the respective countries symbol.

This should be the same on all coins of all denominations.

So if any of our Euro pals out there are willing to part with some coins ... give me an e-mail too.

I would also be interested how you guys feel about most of the countries now having the same currency???

I feel it takes away from the identity of the respective countries ... IMHO ... waht do you guys think?

Jon_B

Screenwriter
What a neat idea. I would even be interested in seeing what they look like via the internet. So take some pictures if you have any please. :)
Jon

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
*bump*
:frowning: I know theres some nice people overseas that are willing to part with these beautiful coins :D
Ill try and get some pics if i can find some.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
wouldn't your local bank or any type of place that buys/sells currency have the new coins?

Don Black

Screenwriter
Not to get political or anything, but one of the EU's goals for the Euro is to counter the power of the U.S. dollar. So I'm all for England, Sweden, and Denmark abstaining.
Then again, since my sister is over in Europe right now, I asked her to pick me up a few to satisfy my curiosity. :D

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Thats a good idea Philip, ill try.
Since there are 12 different coins for each individual country, i wonder if they are only issues in their respective countries.
If i cant get them at the bank, id have to get someone from each country to send me one :frowning:
I have set up pictures of the Euro 1 coins on the following link. My favorite are from Greece and Italy.
The image on the Greek coin is from an image copied from an ancient Athenian 4 drachma coin (fifth century BC).
The Italian coin shows the famous drawing by Leonardo da Vinci, displayed in the gallery of the Academy in Venice, illustrating the ideal proportions of the human body.
They are awesome!! Heres the LINK

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I just got my first set. I'll make picture (ours have an image of our Queen) and post it. Just need a few hours (have to go to my office now).

Cees

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I'm not going to get into politics, but the UK is going to have a referendum to decide whether to ditch the pound and change to Euros. It will be sometime in 2003.

Many Brits feel that we would lose our national identity if we adopt the Euro.

If you're visiting the UK you'll need the pound. There are a few shops in London which will accept Euros but you'll be stung for an "admin fee".

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
also not wishing to get political here...

but the facts are that the British have consistently shown in polls that @ 2/3rds are against joining the Euro.

None of the countries joining held a specific vote asking if their people wanted it.

Indeed the only country to ask its population - Denmark, voted no to joining...interesting.

It is not just about identity or whose face is on the coinage - rather why should we be moving to a huge centralised economy and ultimately political megolith - some of us feel that this is a backward step experiment, rather than the great forward leap, that is being touted.

David Oliver

Second Unit
I will not get political either, although I have a nice reply ;)
The coins are very nice. I especially like the Ireland coin. I have a friend coming back from Ireland, I need to tell her to bring me a Euro (or two)!

Peter_A

Second Unit
If you guys want to make some money off the Euro, get a hold of some of the coins produced by the Vatican. Since they are their own "country" so to speak, their coins have a picture of the Pope on them. And since the "country" is so small, a limited number of the coins will be produced compared to other counrties. So the so called "Pope" coins are worth more than the actuall denomination.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
OK, as promised, here's the photograph I made this morning (not my best one ever). It shows all coins (0.01, 0.02, 0.05, 0.10, 0.20, 0.50, 1, 2 Euro). In this country the 2 Euro coin has the classic "God Be With Us" inscripted around the edge (in Dutch, of course: "God Zij Met Ons").
Cees
EuroCoins.jpg

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Thats awesome Cees!
Are you going to keep them in the display?
Is that a Proof display?
Id like to ask those posting to refrain from any more semi-political discussion. It is really easy to start into the "they should" or "they should'nt" discussion.
I dont want to give any of the mods an itchy keyboard finger here :)
I just like the coins and would love to get some :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The "display" is a map every Dutchman and -woman got for free (we all were sent a card with our name on it - if you were older than 6, I think) and we could collect a set of Euro coins before December, 31, 24.00 hours at predefined points (banks, gas-stations, some warehouses). All you had to do was: hand over the card and identify yourself.
This being Holland, very few were not collected :D.
Cees
PS The sequence is the famous balance weights sequence. Unfortunately, that means my country lost a coin: the quarter.
C.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
OK, I know I'm stupid, but here is my proposition, valid during this month (January 2002) only.
(1) I'm prepared to buy a set of Dutch Euro coins for members of this forum to a total maximum of the first 20 (twenty) of those who send me a private message (using the forum software) to this extent, with his/her address, etc. If I receive more than twenty, the decision will be based on the timestamp (first 20 ones), to be solely judged by my discretion (especially in possible cases of unreasonable disadvantage).
(2) I don't need to profit from this, nor want to loose on it. So, I will inquire at a post-office about the cost of sending a padded envelope (to make certain it cannot be guessed there are coins in it) by express airmail to the given address.
(2) The cost of the stamps (the addressee can easily check that when it arrives), the cost of the envelope and the amount of Euro money (Eur 2 + 1 + 0.50 + 0.20 + 0.10 + 0.05 + 0.02 + 0.01 = 3.88 Eur) will be your total cost. We will decide on a day (to determine the value in $$) and you will deposit the amount you owe me on an account I have with a DVD retailer inside the US. I will provide you with the name of that retailer.
(3) When I receive word the deposit has been made (irrevocably :)), I will send off the envelope by express airmail: at your risk. I will not reveal the value or the real content of the package on the accompanying slip. But it is your risk. You simply have to trust me here: I will send it off. But if it doesn't arrive, is pinched by the ehmm, well I don't want to insult Ron's colleagues, or disappears inexplicably, I don't want to be held responsible.
(4) I will "buy" the coins and they will probably be very new - but I cannot give you any guarantee about their looks. You get what I get. I will check for unwanted scratches, etc., but I cannot guarantee any specific quality.
(5) We will exchange e-mails about every step taken. By going along, you accept my rules. The deal should be over by the end of the month, or two weeks after I receive and accept the last request.
(6) If any of us discovers an unreasonable or undesirable aspect, we can discuss a change of the rules before the deposit is made. But we have to explicitly agree on the terms, before we proceed.
How's that for a complicated scheme? :)
Cees
PS: (1) Henry, here's a picture of the backside of our free set. It shows a diminished image of the Euro bank notes (the barcode label isn't one of them ;)).
They have several clever validitation properties, like ink changing colour under movement and a black thread becoming visible if you look through them against light.
(2) The 500 Euro note is deemed too big a coupure by crime fighting departments.
(3) Does anyone outside Europe see a Euro-sign here: € ?
C.
EuroPaper.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks