What's new
World Wide Stereo

Please recommend entry-level receiver (1 Viewer)

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I have done a search and it has left me overwhelmed :frowning:
Harman Kardon and Yamaha are leading my brand search based on what I've read (there seems to be a consensus that they have the best tonal qualities and warmth when compared to similar offerings from other companies), but other than that I am lost.

Thanks in advance!

728x90

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Your headed in the right direction with HK and Yamaha. I would also add the Onkyo receivers onto your list of entry level receivers. I have the Onkyo TXSR501, and it is a nice entry level receiver with plenty of inputs and power for the entry level. This receiver seems to have plenty of inputs and options to keep you happy for a while before you want to upgrade. I like the way it sounds also. Also how much are you looking to spend. This can greatly determine what to look at, especially if you have a set price limit. Aslo, do you want 5.1, 6.1 etc... The onkyo above is a 6.1 receiver.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I would like to say all the types so far are great, but lets not leave out Denon! You can find some killer deals on the 'net, and I love mine. It's an entry level. During december I got a 1403 for 167 USD. Sweet deal.
Also, many people hear will talk about finding a refurb model. Most say it's a favorable experience.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Adam, where did you find the Denon 1403 for that price?

I am flexible when it comes to 5.1 vs. 6.1... I am more concerned with overall flexibility (i.e. the capability to grow with my home theater), sound quality and reliability.

I am also trying to keep my budget around $250 or so. I realize that with home theater components you often get what you pay for, but this is all I can really afford at this point. This is why "bang for the buck" is a huge consideration for me.

I am also not opposed to buying a refurbished model.

Thanks for the suggestions... keep them coming :emoji_thumbsup:

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Some suggestions in your general budget ballpark:

Onkyo 501
Pioneer 912
Panasonic XR25 [45 if you can find it]
Panasonic SA-HE200 [J and R had refurbs for $199.88 up until today, seems to be (temporarily?) sold out -- great deal!]
Denon 1604 [eCost.com has refurbs for $222.65 w/free shipping]

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I got in in December (actually my girl got it for me for christmas!!!) at 6AVE.com
It's too bad, but the deal is long gone. But it's a testiment to 'strike when the iron's hot' and only when it's hot. It saves lotsa money and you still get what you want!

6ave was a decent place. $0.06 for shipping. Got here no problem what so ever, shipping was on time.

Let us know what you get and how you like it! Take it easy.

WillyB

Auditioning
Go Denon, I was a Yamaha person and they make great receivers, but once I worked with the Denon products... I will never buy anything but Denon, they haven't let me down yet!:)

That's my opinion and I'm sticken wit it.

I'm running the AVR 3802 with JBL's including double rears for DTS ES and dolby EX.

When I finish the Basement, I want the next AVR 5803 with all Klipsch Reference Series for some of the most wondorous sound in the world!!!!! Oh I'm getting wood just thinking about it.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
....and Stelios is going to tell us where we can find the Sony STR-DA1000ES for around $250. Or less than $350, maybe. Okay, $375. Right, Stelios? Stelios? ;)

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I'm saying... The cheapest I've seen that receiver is for around $650-700.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks