Please recommend Adventure and Space Flight games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Holadem, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

OK, I changed my mind again, and will be getting an XBOX after all. I will get the PS2 for Final Fantasy later.

I have decided on the following:

Halo - not a big fan of FPS but I have to know what the fuss is about. Plus it's cheap.

KOTOR - I still need an RPG, PS2 or not. I am partial to the japanese stuff, but this will have to do.

Now I need 2 more games with the following characteristics:

1- Third person adventure game, something like the original Tomb Raider which I LOVED. Massive levels, a good story, and even some fights would be nice.

2- Space Flight game a la Colony Wars on PS1, or Descent Freespace on PC. A space flight simulator with complete freedom of movement, NOT a something with a predetermined trajectory (do they even make these anymore? Neveermind, don't wanna know [​IMG] ). Stuff that will go from small hit and run missions to HUGE space battles, you know? Is there such a beast? Colony Wars was awesome.

Preferably, these would be older, established classics like Halo. Less risk, and less $$$ [​IMG].

Please help.

--
    H

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Anyone anyone anyone anyone? I am trying to pick up something tonight right when I get out of work, and I can't check out gaming sites from here [​IMG]. There should be classics out there like Halo which should easily come to mind?

--
    H

3. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

If you're looking for something in the same vein as Tomb Raider, you may want to consider some of the following titles in the action/adventure genres:
    • Alias
    • BloodRayne
    • Mission: Impossible Operation Surma
    • Pitfall: The Lost Expedition
    • Rogue Ops[/list=a]

Depending on where you shop, you might be able to secure new, unopened copies for < $10 each (all of the listed titles are available on both the PS2 and Xbox).

Space flight titles are lacking on both consoles, unfortunately. I enjoyed the Colony Wars series on the PSX/PSOne, but the European branch of Psygnosis was secured by Eidos, and the US branch folded into Sony's 989 Studios; either way, this was disappointing news for space combat fans. The next closest game I can think of in this genre is Battlestar Galactica. My advice: give this a rental before committing $20 to a purchase. I found the targeting system frustrating, but you may feel differently.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thanks Ken, in the adventure genre, wouldn't the likes of Splinter Cell and Silent Hill qualify?

Dissapointing stuff with the space combat sims [​IMG]. How can a whole genre dissapear?! [​IMG].

Also, it it me, or does it seem like everything is FPS nowadays?

--
    H

5. Ken Chui

It's the overwhelming choice on the PC; the Xbox seems to be moving in that direction as well (when compared against the PS2 or Gamecube). While I do enjoy the occasional FPS (UT2004 and Call Of Duty, in particular), I try to limit my playing time because it's the only gaming genre that contributes to an early burnout (for me, anyway). Gameplay-wise, it's shallow and not particularly gratifying, but it can be extremely addictive (again, speaking only for myself).

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

It's not you. Personally I'm sick of it. I also tire of reviewers who comment "why can't it be FPS" if it's third person. Aside from Halo 2 I'm really uninterested in this genre now.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thanks guys. The other reason (outside of $$$) I am only looking for "classic" stuff is that having nothing but PS1 games to compare them to, they will still great to me although they might be dated.

Getting Halo 2 next week (or whenever it comes out) would probably spoil the enjoyement I might have had with the original.

I am a virgin to this generation of video games, so I will be impressed by pretty much anything, since I know not what I might be missing.

--
    H

8. Ken Chui

Holadem:

Here are some other action-adventure games that may appeal to you (most are third-person perspective, but some permit switching to a first-person viewpoint, usually for targeting purposes); all are available on the Xbox:
    • Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly - Director's Cut
    • Thief: Deadly Shadows
    • Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    • Hitman: Contracts
    • Tenchu: Return From Darkness
    • Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
    • Beyond Good & Evil
    • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (not the sequel "Chaos Bleeds")
    • Max Payne

I also second the recommendation of "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time".

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thanks Ken,

I ended up getting Prince of Persia. The original was one of the greatest games ever made.

But I never got a chance to played it, Halo sucked me in right away [​IMG]. A stark difference from the somewhat pedestrian Wolfenstein (rental). If Halo is is anything like Half Life, I know it's going to be fun.

--
    H

10. Ken Chui

Happy to help anyway I can. [​IMG]

In that case, I assume that you're also looking forward to Half-Life 2?