1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Please look at my hardware list...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllenD, Sep 28, 2001.

1. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I'm assembling a new pc mostly for web browsing. I've had some experience assembling a (ht)pc but I chose HTPC hardware already listed for me posted at AVS. This time around, I'm choosing them myself and I'm not too comfortable considering hardware compatability. Please check over my list and tell me if there are any issues I should be aware of.
    ASUS TUSL2 INTEL 815E CHIPSET ULTRA ATA100 ATX FORM FACTOR 1xAGP(PRO)/6xPCI/1xCNR/3xDIMM W/ AUDIO
    ELSA GLADIAC GEFORCE2GTS DDR
    INTEL CELERON 667MHZ FC-PGA RETAILED W/COOLING FAN
    TOSHIBA SD-M1502T 16X-DVD/48X-CDROM EIDE INTERNAL
    LITE ON 32X-READ/12X-RECORD/10X-REWRITABLE CD-ROM REWRITABLE DRIVE W/SW (Retail)*W/BURN PROOF FUNCTION Q:What is "BURN PROOF FUNCTION?"
    MWAVE CI-6606 MIDDLE TOWER W/250W ATX POWER SUPPLY 3x5.25" 2x3.5" 2x3.5"(hidden)
    MAXTOR 100.0GB MX4W100H6 EIDE ULTRA-ATA/100 9MS 5400RPM 2MB BUFFER (Using 100GB hard drive for HD recording. Swapping w/HTPC's WD3077A)
    SONY 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE (Bare Drive)
    KINGSTON KVR133X64C3/256 PC133 256MB CL3 SDRAM DIMM

2. Mark_R

Mark_R Agent

I'm not an expert... but one of the things I'd consider is getting a faster drive (7200rpm and 7ms or less on the access time). If your hard drive winds up fragmented, the 9ms time might give you some dropped frames (although there are a ton of factors that go into frame capture rates).
    Burnproof means that there is hardware technology on the drive to prevent buffer underrun errors (the major cause of bad burns). This is a good thing.
    Depending on how much editing or converting video (ie to mpeg-4), you might want to consider getting a P4 w/ RamBus (really pricey still), or finding a board that supports DDR memory and use it (PC2100) The last I heard DDR is not out for Intel yet but coming. Already out for Athalon boards.