What's new

Please help my adjust my "High Cut" setting on my subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Where do I want the High Cut setting on my 10" subwoofer?

My main speakers have dual 8" woofers (and a mid and tweeter). ON my recevier, I am sending low bass signals (below 90Hz) to the sub.

The high cut setting on my sub ranges from 50 - 150 Hz.

The minimal freq. rsponse is 35 hz on my mains.

So, I am just not exactly sure where to set my high cut setting. I was thinking as low as possible, i.e, 50 Hz.

Unfortunately, the manual isn't very clear.

Dylan

Agent
This is the confusing part about configuring a receiver. Can you override the LFE crossover setting? If your receiver is sending all signals below 90 Hz to the LFE output, then wouldn't you have to set the sub to 90 Hz as well? If you don't, where does the signals in between the two crossover points go (i.e. receiver at 90 Hz, sub at 50 Hz)? Does it reroute the 50-90 Hz bass to the speakers? Like you said Dave, receiver manuals don't talk about this tiny detail. I have a Denon 3801 and I am only able to infer from a single sentence explaining the difference between Large and Small speaker settings the crossover point for the subwoofer (80 Hz). No where else does it talk about configuring the crossover (if possible) or that it even has one. SVS PC-Plus woofers have an option to override the receiver's crossover point for the LFE signal so maybe that's what the sub's general high pass cutoff does. I know that THX has their reference setting at 80 Hz for sub crossover point, if that helps any. I always thought that was too high and that it should be around 40-50 Hz. I'm pretty sure I'm confusing the general bass reproduction capabilities of the receiver verses the dedicated LFE signal, which is what you might be doing too.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If your receiver's crossover is sending below 90hz to the sub then I would turn the crossover on the sub off or simply set it to 150hz. Since the receiver isn't going to be sending any 100hz signals then there'd be no point in setting the sub's crossover to 50hz and block out some bass frequencies.

I think you'll also find that your "crossover" isn't actually a "cut" but insteads blends the frequencies together using slopes to make it more seamless.

If you set the crossover at 50hz, at worse you'll be simply reducing the volume between 50-160hz. If you set the crossover too high then the volume increases in the 50-160hz range.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I agree with Chris. Set the sub's crossover to the highest to take it out of the chain. Let the receiver do the crossover.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice.

I went ahead and set my sub's High Cut to 150 Hz - which is maximum.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I did end up finding something in my Sub's manual. It says when using a 6-8" main speaker, to set the High Cut to around 60 Hz. I had someone else just tell me this too. This seems to be against what everyone here is saying. Now I am more confused. :frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I did end up finding something in my Sub's manual. It says when using a 6-8" main speaker, to set the High Cut to around 60 Hz. I had someone else just tell me this too...Now I am more confused.
I believe we are talking about two different scenarios here, and that is where the confusion is coming from. If you had your mains set to large, and/or filtered through the sub via speaker level connection, then you WOULD want to set the sub around 60-70Hz, or roughly one octave above the low end of your mains.

In your seutup, however, you have your mains set to small, and with a 90Hz x-over (I'm guessing Yamaha), you want to set the sub's x-over freqency to it's highest point, otherwise you will end up with a "double" or cascaded x-over. This is not anything that would cause damage or awful sound, it may result in an overly steep slope for the sub. 90Hz is acceptable for mains that go down to ~35Hz, as they will still receive sound approximately down to their limit, though trailed off over one octave (around 45Hz).

This adjustment is also not a high cutoff, it is the LOW cutoff. High pass would only be in effect if your mains were running through the sub via speaker level.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
John, my mains are set to large and my set-up is all Yamaha. So, keeping my sub high cut to 60 hz would be ideal?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You said 90Hz x-over, so I was guessing that the mains were set to small also.

I cannot say that 60Hz is ideal, because there are plenty of factors, but it is probably a good starting point. I'd try a few settings and stick with what sounds best in your room.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to my receiver's manual, setting to "small" means low bass signals (below 90hz) are distributed to the subwoofer output. However, I have them set to "large."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks