What's new

Please help - Best Receiver for $800 USD (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
erew99 said:
Will they all sound the same?
FWIW, if you want to change the way your system sounds, the best way to do that is with new speakers.

Changing speaker wire isn't going to make much of a perceptible difference (double-blind tests have confirmed that this is true).

More "watts" isn't going to dramatically change how your speakers sound, provided they are efficient to begin with.

A "Brand X" receiver isn't going to dramatically change how your speakers sound compared to a similarly equipped "Brand Y" receiver. Having features such as Audyssey which help you properly calibrate and configure your setup CAN have a dramatic impact, however. Very few people can really "hear" a difference between the major electronics manufacturers.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi Jason,
I agree with you on that. I purchased Monitor 50 speakers- which are pretty low-end speakers.

I do plan on upgrading those in the future, but I also wanted to upgrade the receiver.

In terms of speaker cable, I figured there isn't much of a difference, considering all the studies out there. Some people say it does, others say it doesn't. I can't image it would be so completely different, otherwise everyone would hear it.

I might consider some definitive tech or paradigm next time, as the Polk line isn't sounding to great to me right now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sony to a Pioneer with ESS DAC is a big leap. You will notice an improvement. Will it be monumental?

No.

But. The 1523 has other features that make it worthy of supplanting your Sony...

Twin HDMI out(in case you ever do a twin display)
HDMI Zone output. Meaning the AVR can act as an HDMI matrix. So if your bedroom is next to this(or kitchen for that matter), you can run a HDMI over and whatever you got connected works in another area.

It has a remote app that also works well(So does Sony in the ES. I still wouldn't take an ES over this...at the same price)

Pre-outs. If you decide to run an exterior amp, you are covered.
If WiSa speakers ever make an appearance...you have the pre-outs.

This AVR brings a lot more to the party. The extra watts is just a bonus. I guarantee you won't clip this thing...like you might with what you had before.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I wish I could but my room isn't setup to even do 5.1 correctly. 19x10. I have to do it the wide way, where I'm 10 ' away from my tv. Maybe I can do front highs?I might also utilize the second zone.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DTS Neo X is height and wide at the same time. So you'd have 7 speakers...all on the front wall.Well, wide shouldn't go "on the wall". It should flank the listener from the front side.Technically, all 3/5/7 front speakers should be the same distance from the main listener. But how many of us can do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks