What's new

Please don't do that! Sequels and Remakes you did not see coming... (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The Blob (1988) is one of the better remakes. There aren't many remakes that I like but some do surpass the originals. There are some movies that I had never realized were remakes (Ben Hur, Wizard of Oz). I'm more okay with a remake if it does something different with the movie rather than a beat for beat copy. I know some are more of a new adaption a book or story (The Thing) but I still count them as remakes.

I don't mid sequels, as long as the movies are good and I love the characters, but the longer as series goes on, the worse the movies get. There are some movie series and characters that I haven't tired of, like Superheroes. They've been appearing in one medium or another since the 1930s and the are highly adaptable to different eras. I just don't want to see their origin stories re-told multiple times in a short period (Spider-man).

What I don't want to see are sequels with the original characters and actors made 20 years or so after the last movie i the series. I don't want to see the character get old. Crystal Skull and The Force Awakens are my main reasons behind this but the exception I make is with the Star Trek movies with the original cast. I don't need to see any more Pirates of the Caribbean and Tarzan movies.

WIZARD OF OZ has been remade several times. Laurel and Hardy were in one version. It was recently turned into a brilliant stage show in London by Andrew Lloyd Webber. All your favourite songs and some new ones.Well worth seeing.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, with something like The Fly I can see that getting a remake every so many years because monster films always get remade...but already in the can for release this year at some point is a remake of Papillon with Charlie Hunnam in the Steve McQueen role.

Not sure what drove them to remake this other than the idea that they are just more comfortable spending money on a remake over something original. Basically, I see no need for this film. I wish every time somebody was considering a remake of a good film they just released the older film into the theaters instead to introduce the older film that was so good it needed a remake to a new audience in a theater.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
So, what this thread is all about is sequels, remakes or reboots you can't believe are happening (and I guess you could mean that in a good or bad way)...and looking over lists on the internet these literally outnumber new original films by about 100 to 1. I'm not kidding. Pretty much you name it, it is getting a remake, reboot or sequel.

To me this craze of remaking, rebooting, or creating sequels for existing properties is mostly just terrible but obviously the people paying to make motion pictures these days just prefer a property that they don't have to sell as much because people know it already...and maybe audiences prefer this too based on the fact there are about 800+ pictures in the pipeline that are a remake, reboot, or sequel.

So, I was really curious to hear people's thoughts on this trend and what they love or hate about it and what films that are coming that you would prefer to just see set on fire rather than get a release or the films you are actually excited to see get a reboot, remake, or sequel.

Obviously I don't like this trend and I think it has reached such a fevered pitch now that it is totally out of control but there are remakes that I have really loved. Two prime examples being the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and John Carpenter's remake of The Thing From Another World. Now these are probably often cited as "good" remakes but really for every one of these there are probably 10 that really did not work.

One soon to be released sequel that is coming out, and that I actually thought was a joke when it was first mentioned, is the sequel to Sicario, Soldado. I did not even believe they were doing this when it was announced but sure enough they have this in the can and it will soon be making it's way into theaters. Now I saw no reason for a Sicario sequel, I loved the first film and felt it had a perfect ending that did not leave me wondering about any of the characters. I know the film was a "hit" sort of and the critics liked it but I would have never guessed there would be a sequel made and Brolin and Del Toro would return...obviously Blunt's arc ends in the first film so she is not back.

View attachment 36621

I also just saw we are getting a new version of Dune, it is Denis Villeneuve's next project now that he has wrapped the Blade Runner sequel...obviously another sequel that is coming many years after the original film which really did not need a sequel...but like Soldado, I will see this sequel because I enjoyed the first film. Dune is said to be Villeneuve's "dream project" and since the Lynch version is not so well thought of it is maybe a good choice to remake but it is a weird and complex tale that I think presents a lot of challenges to sell to an audience and get them to understand it and get into it. Supposedly after Villeneuve's run of successful features they asked him "What do you want to do if you could do anything?" and he said "Dune." and they bought him the rights to it.

We also will soon have a new comedy version of Sherlock Holmes...since Sherlock Holmes seems as popular as ever right now and there have been several versions recently both on television and at the movies so why not throw in a comedy featuring Will Ferrell as Holmes and John C. Reilly as Watson. It's shooting now.

So, what are the sequels, remakes, reboots you most don't want and want to see? Do you love this trend or hate this trend? How many Batman films are too many?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Do you smell that? Yes, that terrible smell...oh my is it awful...

That stink is coming off of the Eli Roth remake of Death Wish with Bruce Willis in the Charles Bronson role...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Hey, they have a remake of Jacob's Ladder coming out this year too. Why? Well, because they are remaking EVERY MOVIE EVER MADE! Flatliners also has been remade...wonder if it will be as stupid this time as it was the last time. Kiefer is back for this one though so maybe it is supposed to be some sort of sequel.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Who is Luca Guadagnino you ask? Well, he is the director that just remade Suspiria...no, really they did that I'm not joking. Coming soon to a theater near you.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I draw the line if they start trying to remake all the John Hughes classics from the 80's! :)

Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club etc...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Don't worry, Alf, those are on the way. Look at it this way they already have in the can a remake of the Goldie Hawn film Overboard and are in the process of remaking Private Benjamin...presumably with the same actress that is playing Goldie in Overboard. So, if they are remaking those bet money that every John Hughes film...like every John Carpenter film...is getting remade.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Hey, this year we also get a remake of Murder on the Orient Express with Johnny Depp as the pirate version of Hercule Poirot...OK, so I made up the pirate part but yeah, that is happening.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Pretty sure they are casting Joan Wick right now and maybe she will be the sister or wife of John. And if they are not casting it they will likely start casting it because I posted this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And that's not the only all female remake coming there is supposed to be an Expendables remake called Expendabelles because you know doing Ghostbusters that way worked out so well.
TBH, I'm kind of looking forward to Ocean's Eight with some of my favorite actresses.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
TBH, I'm kind of looking forward to Ocean's Eight with some of my favorite actresses.

Is Debbie Ocean supposed to be Danny's wife or sister? And I see that Matt Damon is in this so is this one of those "same universe" kind of films? The big question is will Matt appear in drag in this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks