What's new

Pleae help, Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha????? (1 Viewer)

nik k

Agent
Hello everyone,
I have been trying to decide on what receiver to go with. I am stuck between the onkyo 701, yamaha rx-v1300, and denon 2803, maybe some more??? Here is some of my thought processing.

I like the onkyo 701 because of its features and look. I think it has a very nice looking front with front a/v inputs and buttons you can push to select video 1, 2, 3 etc. I have owned the 800 but sold it because i wanted a second set of speaker outputs so i can run sound in another room without an additional amp, hence the 701. I like the 7.1 but the 6.1 of the 701 seems to be a good match for the size of my living room. If onkyo comes out with a 801 with a second set of speakers out this might be an option. Anyone see this in the future or know any info???? The onkyo remotes are awsome imo. The keys are ergonomic and easy to find. I wish the 701 had more digital optical inputs (3) for the future. Seems like the integra 6.4 is similar but with network features and less the THX certs. I have been told onkyo receivers have been performing poorly on bench tests.

I have always liked the dsp modes of the yamahas. They have plenty of a/v inputs outputs. I realy like the look but i have never owned one. My knowledge comes from friends stories only though. 6.1 with dts 96/24. Seems like it take yamaha awhile to catch up with surround modes, other than dsp. They seem to have plenty of power. Decent remote.

The denon 2803 seems to be very popular on the boards. I like the 7.1 ability plus another room. Seeems to have the most a/v inputs outputs. Lots of digital inputs. I am most likely considering this one but cant decide because i think it is very ugly. It does not have buttons on front but rather knobs (rotating). Remote looks decent. This seems to be the breaking point for me. Should i consider the 3803 also???

Any and all suggestions, info, recommendations are evry welcome.

thank you,
nik

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Nik, I just had the same dilemma. I have 2 satelite recievers (1 w/digital out), 2 vcr's (JVC SVHS), 1 laser disc player w/ digital out, 1 Sony 300 DVD changer (DVP-CX860), 1 Sony 300 disc cd changer (both connected w/ digital outs, to be traded up soon for the new Sony 400 disc DVD/CD/SACD changer), 2 Sony 400 disc cd changers (CDP-CX450 & 455, linked together, so linked analog), 1 Sony dual casstte deck, a Technics turntable and a X-Box (also connected digitally). After looking at those same recievers, specs, and price ($699.00 at J&R Music World), for me the Denon serves all of my needs! Fully packed w/ 6 digital outs, this unit is packed with features! Currently feeding a Polk PSW-202 sub & Polk RM-6005 speakers (which I found for $299.00 at Circuit City web-only special, but, i'm wondering how the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60 would sound like). I have to say that DTS soundtracks ROCK!!! My media room is 16'x10'. A review of this reciever is in last month's Sound & Vision & current Home Theater magazines.

CurtisC

Second Unit
The 3803 is a stellar avr at its price,features,quality and sound.You should not want/need to upgrade for a while.Most of the Denon line are leaders at like prices,the 3803 gives you the most bang for the buck IMHO.

nik k

Agent
So it looks like the denon. For all of you who own the any of the denon's do you like the overall design? The display seems a little weak imo. I'm hoping my girlfriend warms up to the remote too. She really liked the onkyo's remote with backlit design. Minus THX certs it looks like the extra money for the 3803 may be worth it in the long run. With the 3803 or 2803 i can setup my main room to be 7.1 while i can run another pair in a different room right (albeit not at the same time)?? Do the denons downgrade to the 2.1 and extra pair with different sources being able to be played using only the speaker outs? Thanks for the replys.
nik

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I like the low-key display. I have had several large display recievers. Don't need them anymore. The remore is a little busy, but, nothing I can't handle. I hope to be 'stuck' with these 2 pcs for a while. my last Yamamha AV amp lasted 10yrs!!! Denon has a real challenge on it's hands!!! haven't put the Zone 2 function to use yet.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
My Denon 2803 has buttons on the front. Maybe you didn't notice them because they are rectangular? Also, do the Onkyo and Yamaha have on screen display? Now that I have had a receiver with OSD I will never go back.

nik k

Agent
Vincent, what i meant by buttons on the front is that on my onkyo there were buttons that i oculd puch to select video 1, video 2, dvd, etc. It looks like the denon has dials instead to pick the function.

I have a question on denons zone two output. For the 2803 it looks like you hook up rear surround and rear back surround (also labeled zone 2) for 7.1. Then you have main speakers a or b. Could i hook up the four surrounds then run wire from main B to another room??? For the 3803 it looks like main a or b is missing, rather there is surround a or b and surround back (also labeled zone two). Could i hook up surround A and surround back to the main room and then use surround B for the extra room?? If i dont use the zone 2 speaker outs does this mean i cannot control them??? It seems you must use the labeled zone two speaker outs for 7.1 surround. What i am trying to accomplish is have true 7.1 in the main room and be able to play stereo music in another. Please help me figure this out. thanks
nik

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
In less than a month, Yamaha will be releasing 2 new receivers. The RX-V1400 and the RX-V2400. Both will be THX Select, and will have 7.1 surround. The RX-V1400 will have OSD, not sure if the RX-V1300 did. The 1400 will have 110w x 7, whereas the 2400 will have 120w x 7. It also comes with Yamaha's new YPAO (their version of H/K's EzSet).

-----

You can't state that Denon is the leader in this price group. Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo are all dominating this price range. You prefer Denon, but that doesn't make them the leader.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
It does not have buttons on front but rather knobs (rotating).
It's pretty hard right now to find a receiver without a rotating volume knob and "jog" control knob. Most users have found that the "jog" dial is quite easy to navigate -- that is why lots of receivers have them. Also, most receivers have front buttons too -- allowing you to adjust some parameters via this method.

CurtisC

Second Unit
You can't state that Denon is the leader in its price group
What I said was Denons are leaders in price class,you know,like Denon is A leader in mid fi bang for the buck avr.I did NOT state Denon is THE leader.But,I could state that if I wanted to because if you read carefully I wrote"In my humble opinion at the end of that statement.That's only my opinion,you may think Yamaha,Onkyo etc.. are,more power to ya unless you say its a fact.

nik k

Agent
Hello, Im still stuck on the point about zone 2 operation through the denon. Can i or can i not do what i am thinking, have 7.1 in main and have the ability to play music in another room (not at same time)???

Edwin, do the yamaha's have this capability?? Does anyone have or can point me to any info on upcoming onkyo receivers, i.e. SR801??? thanks again.

nik

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Nik -

The Yamaha's -- and I think just about every receiver in the price range you're looking at -- have Zone 2 capability as you described.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, Im still stuck on the point about zone 2 operation through the denon. Can i or can i not do what i am thinking, have 7.1 in main and have the ability to play music in another room (not at same time)???

Edwin, do the yamaha's have this capability?? Does anyone have or can point me to any info on upcoming onkyo receivers, i.e. SR801??? thanks again.

nik
Zone 2 operation is to send an A/V feed to another room via the receiver. You're asking if you can play a set of speakers outside of your HT to play music, not simulataneously. The answer is yes. Practically every receiver in any price range will always give a choice of A/B speakers for the mains. If only B is set, the receiver should automatically go into stereo mode (unless the receiver takes the C/S/SC as both A and B).

nik k

Agent
Practically every receiver in any price range will always give a choice of A/B speakers for the mains.
Yeah i understand this, but what has me confused and stumped is that the denon 2803 has main speaker a or b while the 3803 does not. It has rear surround a or b plus rear back surround (the ones labeled zone 2). So three pairs of "rears". There is only one set of mains, no a or b. The way i figure is i would have to hook up rear surround a and rear back surround for the correct setup for 7.1. This leaves me with rear surround set b to play with for my extra pair, but are they not zone 2 controlable then?? At the least i just want to play steroe music, no video switching or controlling. I just am worried ill just get surround quality sound not full stereo. It seems denon wants you to have 5.1 with the surround b for music positioning rather than surround sound positioning, and then rear surround back for zone 2 purposes.

As you can see i'm leaning towards the denon 3803 but the speaker setup seems to be causing a road bump. I like the 3803's features, it also upgrades all video output to component instead of just to s-video that i see a lot in receivers.

I dont mean to labor my point about zone 2 function i am just trying to fully understand how it will work with me for a specific model, denon 3803. thanks.
nik

CurtisC

Second Unit
HEY,EDWIN,NEWSFLASH,almost everything on this site is OPINION,OK.Unless someone claims its a fact and supports it with more facts.When someone types/states things in a discussion you get opinions,when they state IMHO,THAT is the first clue its an OPINION.Certainly if its in the same sentence,or at the end,and the starter asked for opinions,sheese,imho.

NIK,The 3803 will drive 7.1 or 5.1 and zone 2(2ch).The surr a or b gives you the choice of choosing one of your two sets(if you have them)A= movies(surr on sides,maybe bipolar)or B music(maybe full range for dvd-a or sacd) in rear corners.In other words if you have two sets of surr's you can choose which ones you want to hear according to what you are listening to,I use this alot.On the 7.1(using all iternal amps) and zone 2 I think you would need an external 2ch amp to have these all available on command with zone two rca pre outs hooked to amp.I use 5.1 and zone 2 is my patio set,I listen mostly to music,concerts or dvd-a,sacd,so 5.1 does all I need,hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks