1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PlayStation2 ---> "16:9" functionality in new DVD Drivers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn_T, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Shawn_T

Shawn_T Agent

Dear All,
    I have a GT3 Racing Pack (SCPH-35001, USA, NTSC, and ‘Default’ DVD Player 1.30U).
    Well after I updated the DVD drivers supplied with the remote, it reads as 2.10U.
    The thing is according to the manual you can watch 16:9 ‘Wide-Screen’ movies, but when a DVD is playing
    and I press the SELECT button to change the setting, it reads that my TV is 4:3. Even though that have
    already specified that my TV is 16:9 in the PS2’s own SYSTEM CONFIGURATION.
    Thanks for your insights.

2. Allan McLachlan

Even with the old DVD drivers in the PS2 you can still view DVD's in 16:9. The 16:9 mode in the system config is for games only, mines set to 4:3 for games. When playing a DVD you have to stop the player and then hit select and change the setting to 16:9, I have my PS2 set to 16:9 when playing DVD's and I use the 16:9 enhanced mode in my TV.
    Al

3. Shawn_T

Shawn_T Agent

That's where my problem lies: The PS2 automatically does not send a signal to the TV that it is playing a 16:9 format, as a result I don't see the 16:9 feature.
    My DVD Player however does. The thing is that my WEGA TV does NOT have the 'manual' 16:9 feature in its setup, so it is at the mercy of whenever a player send a signal to it and can't be FORCED to play. (it is made in 1999, the newer 2000/2001 models have the manual 16:9 select feature)
    UPDATE: Actually I was wrong, I did STOP the DVD while playing, pressed SELECT button and changed the aspect ration to 16:9 (now enabled) and SHUT the system OFF to have the changes stored. Now I DO enjoy the 16:9 DVDs. Thanks again!
    ------------------
    Best Regards,
    Shawn
    [Edited last by Shawn_T on September 11, 2001 at 01:38 PM]