What's new

PlayStation2 ---> "16:9" functionality in new DVD Drivers? (1 Viewer)

Shawn_T

Agent
Dear All,
I have a GT3 Racing Pack (SCPH-35001, USA, NTSC, and ‘Default’ DVD Player 1.30U).
Well after I updated the DVD drivers supplied with the remote, it reads as 2.10U.
The thing is according to the manual you can watch 16:9 ‘Wide-Screen’ movies, but when a DVD is playing
and I press the SELECT button to change the setting, it reads that my TV is 4:3. Even though that have
already specified that my TV is 16:9 in the PS2’s own SYSTEM CONFIGURATION.
Thanks for your insights.

Even with the old DVD drivers in the PS2 you can still view DVD's in 16:9. The 16:9 mode in the system config is for games only, mines set to 4:3 for games. When playing a DVD you have to stop the player and then hit select and change the setting to 16:9, I have my PS2 set to 16:9 when playing DVD's and I use the 16:9 enhanced mode in my TV.
Al

Shawn_T

Agent
That's where my problem lies: The PS2 automatically does not send a signal to the TV that it is playing a 16:9 format, as a result I don't see the 16:9 feature.
My DVD Player however does. The thing is that my WEGA TV does NOT have the 'manual' 16:9 feature in its setup, so it is at the mercy of whenever a player send a signal to it and can't be FORCED to play. (it is made in 1999, the newer 2000/2001 models have the manual 16:9 select feature)
UPDATE: Actually I was wrong, I did STOP the DVD while playing, pressed SELECT button and changed the aspect ration to 16:9 (now enabled) and SHUT the system OFF to have the changes stored. Now I DO enjoy the 16:9 DVDs. Thanks again!
------------------
Best Regards,
Shawn
[Edited last by Shawn_T on September 11, 2001 at 01:38 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks