What's new

Plasma vs. LCD: which should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Siddartha_Gau

Auditioning
Hello,

After a few months lurking on the Home Theater Forum, I had recently registered and wanted to post a question on plasma and LCD sets. I need some advice on what TV set I should buy in the next few years.

Plasma and LCD are TV sets that are competing against traditional CRT. Since both have their advantages and disadvantages, which TV set should I choose?

Even if I make the decision, should I wait a few years until the sets are affordable?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Are you asking whether to buy a flat panel vs. a CRT, or an LCD vs. a plasma? If your question is the latter, I'd say go to the plasma forum over at avsforum. I can give you a short preview: plasmas blow away the picture quality of LCD's at this point, and LCD's are very unlikely to catch up in the near future. Furthermore, LCD's cost more than plasmas of the same size.

As to whether to buy now or later, that is a highly individual question. Picture quality is excellent with the better quality plasmas right now. However, pricewise you are looking at probably $3600 (if you buy online) for a good 42", $6K for a good 50" and $14K for a good 61". Prices are dropping rapidly however, having come down about 15% in the last 6 months alone. Go over to avsforum. You'll get more responses there.

And read the group FAQ first before posting.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had thought plasma to be more expensive than LCD.
Siddartha_Gau, give more info on what you are looking for. Are you seeking an LCD-based rear projection TV as the Sony Grand Wega for example, or are you looking at getting into front projection with separate screen and projector.
The prices I have seen for a 40" plasma are comparable with the Grand Wega but if you are looking at front projection, the prices vary greatly depending on what you want (much lower than plasma to comparable for state of the art stuff like the Sharp 9000 or the Sanyo PLV70).
Sanyo PLV70 review
Sharp 9000 review

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I don't believe that any of the LCD's are price competitive with plasmas in the same size class. Some of the top of the line 42" plasma panels are now going for $3500. And the 50" Pioneer 503cmx has gone for well south of $6K from Dell very recently. I admit I haven't priced the LCD's in a couple months though. Perhaps they too have taken a steep nosedive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks