What's new

Planet of the Apes - The Complete TV series (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Anyone know if there is a chance they may do this on bluray ? The first dvd set came out in 2001 and a slim dvd set in 2006 . The set is OOP now and been 10 years since they pressed the dvds plus a new movie coming .... Maybe ? I hope so . I just recently sold off my bulky set . (hate those big 4 disc sets that are hard to close taking up too much room ) I have not found a good price of the slimmed down version yet and I kinda like to hold off just in case there is a chance of a bluray set .

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Anyone know if there is a chance they may do this on bluray ? The first dvd set came out in 2001 and a slim dvd set in 2006 . The set is OOP now and been 10 years since they pressed the dvds plus a new movie coming .... Maybe ? I hope so . I just recently sold off my bulky set . (hate those big 4 disc sets that are hard to close taking up too much room ) I have not found a good price of the slimmed down version yet and I kinda like to hold off just in case there is a chance of a bluray set .

Just found that the slim set still available in amazon Canada , good price but they get you on shipping :(

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
As this is a Fox title, the chances are slim. As it has been seen with most TV shows, Blu-rays are just not working as well as hoped. Several series have been released in a few seasons but then stopped. It is my feeling that this is due to low sales.

My personal feeling is why upgrade to Blu when the series has already been released? Especially if there is not further restoration work done to the series to begin with. Some shows are just not going to benefit from an upgrade to Blu. They are going to look exactly the same as they do on DVD. For myself, I have way too much invested in my DVD sets to even care about Blu-ray.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'd love to see this series on blu-ray. Done right, of course.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Don't want to sound rude but your really missing out , Blu-ray is amazing , there's no comparison .twilight zone,dick van dyke , honeymooners are night and day over the dvds. I'm not sure what tv show have been slapped onto bluray without even a little restoration (none I own). batman,star trek, and lost in space just amazing . They look like they were filmed yesterday . And then just the space shelf saving alone is a big reason to upgrade . I have sold almost all of my dvds on ebay and pretty much have paid for the blurays .

I think i'll probably end up getting the Canada POTA set since it's the slim version .

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I just bought the fat case version off of Amazon several weeks ago after catching the end of an episode on Me-TV. It was still sealed from a 3rd party seller, so new copies can still be found if you look hard enough.

Just for the fun of it, I did an A-B picture comparison between the DVD and Me-TV's prints of the show, and the difference in picture quality is amazing, especially when you consider that the DVD set is already 15 years old. Aside from Me-TV's stubborn insistence on cropping these shows for widescreen, (which looks absolutely terrible IMO, and is the main reason why I won't watch their channel anymore.) Me-TV's print was extremely blurry looking. It was to the point where you couldn't even read the small font at the end of the credits. It reminded me of a cross between an old washed out SLP VHS and a 240p YouTube video. It almost makes me wonder exactly what kind of prints FOX is giving all these new retro sub-channels, they can't possibly still be using tapes, right? The DVD of course is crystal clear, really nice picture for such an early TV DVD release.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Don't want to sound rude but your really missing out , Blu-ray is amazing , there's no comparison .twilight zone,dick van dyke , honeymooners are night and day over the dvds. I'm not sure what tv show have been slapped onto bluray without even a little restoration (none I own). batman,star trek, and lost in space just amazing . They look like they were filmed yesterday . And then just the space shelf saving alone is a big reason to upgrade . I have sold almost all of my dvds on ebay and pretty much have paid for the blurays .

I think i'll probably end up getting the Canada POTA set since it's the slim version .

90% or more of my collection will never see the light of day on Blu-ray so I'm really not missing out on anything.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Though a HD release is unlikely, PotA was shot on 35mm film, therefore, as with so many TV series already, there would be a massive jump in image quality. I've nothing against anyone deciding that DVD is good enough for them, but to claim that Blu-rays would look "exactly the same as they do on DVD" is patently absurd.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As this is a Fox title, the chances are slim. As it has been seen with most TV shows, Blu-rays are just not working as well as hoped. Several series have been released in a few seasons but then stopped. It is my feeling that this is due to low sales.

My personal feeling is why upgrade to Blu when the series has already been released? Especially if there is not further restoration work done to the series to begin with. Some shows are just not going to benefit from an upgrade to Blu. They are going to look exactly the same as they do on DVD. For myself, I have way too much invested in my DVD sets to even care about Blu-ray.

Though a HD release is unlikely, PotA was shot on 35mm film, therefore, as with so many TV series already, there would be a massive jump in image quality. I've nothing against anyone deciding that DVD is good enough for them, but to claim that Blu-rays would look "exactly the same as they do on DVD" is patently absurd.

(On a huge tangential aside).

In spite of blurays usually looking a lot better than the older dvd versions, at this point I largely don't give a damn anymore about "upgrading".

Also not for reasons of having previously "invested" in a huge previous dvd collection. I only started buying a lot of dvds/blurays in 2011. Previously over the entire 2000s decade, I had very little to no interest in dvds/blurays. Before I started buying a lot of dvds/blurays, I only accumulated around two dozen or so titles on dvd over the late-1990s to 2010. So most of my dvd/bluray collection largely consists of dump bind finds at less than $5 a pop (or less than $10-$15 a pop for tv show seasons sets).

I've come to the realization that hardly anything in my dvd/bluray collection has any rewatch value for me. No point in buying tons more blurays/dvds, if I'm only ever going to watch them once or twice (or never).

This is the primary reason why I have not upgraded for shows like X-Files, the original Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis, Airwolf, the original Knight Rider, The Sopranos, etc ... I simply don't watch the dvds enough, to give a damn anymore. No point in buying more stuff that will most likely end up sitting on my bookcase collecting dust.

But with all that being said, I exploit the fact that hardly any current tv shows I watch are being released at all on bluray, largely as a coping mechanism to severely squelch my extreme OCD mentality of compulsive completionist collecting of optical discs. So basically a hard and fast "no bluray, no sale" rule, severely restricts and focuses my mind on NOT buying tons of tv show season sets at $10 a pop or less, or anything else at the local dvd/bluray dump bins. :)

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a huge tangential aside).

But with all that being said, I exploit the fact that hardly any current tv shows I watch are being released at all on bluray, largely as a coping mechanism to severely squelch my extreme OCD mentality of compulsive completionist collecting of optical discs. So basically a hard and fast "no bluray, no sale" rule, severely restricts and focuses my mind on NOT buying tons of tv show season sets at $10 a pop or less, or anything else at the local dvd/bluray dump bins. :)

(More tangential offtopic ranting).

More recently with the introduction of 4Kbluray to the market, I have also been using a similar hard and fast "no 4K, no sale" rule to immediately trick my mind into NOT buying any current movies. Currently I don't have a 4Kbluray player either. So in the end I don't buy any current movies being released, regardless of how much I liked certain recent films. ;)

So far this has been very effective, at severely squelching my extreme OCD compulsive buying/collecting/completionist mentality when it comes to dvd/bluray/4Kbluray. (Though unfortunately that same extreme OCD mentality has moved on to something else to obsesses over, which is completely unrelated to optical discs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've nothing against anyone deciding that DVD is good enough for them, but to claim that Blu-rays would look "exactly the same as they do on DVD" is patently absurd.

(On another tangent).

In my experience offline, I have come across several individuals who say this ^ repeatedly.

In almost every single case, they're saying it to "get under the skin" of the other person who is trying to correct them on this point. To every point that is being corrected by the latter, the former will answer every objection with "In your opinion" or "So?" type of responses. ;)

As far as I can tell, usually it was somebody trying to get the other person very angry and all flustered up, as a form of amusement or "schadenfreude".

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I said some shows will not benefit from the upgrade and would look exactly the same on Blu as they do on DVD. Mainly shows shot on video tape. Upgrading them to Blu-ray isn't going to change anything. They will look just about the same as they do on DVD. Also, unless the studio does go back to the original 35mm elements (for filmed shows) and do an extensive restoration, using their existing digital transfers prepared for standard DVD and releasing them on Blu-ray, isn't going to yield all that much in an upgrade in picture quality. People here have already noticed these things on some Blu-ray sets. Not all Blu-ray sets but some.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Hmm... after all the OT rambling and back-pedalling, I reiterate: this particular thread is (supposed to be) about the PotA TV series. It was shot on 35mm film and would benefit hugely from a Blu-ray upgrade. How other, more recent series were produced and whether or not they appear on Blu-ray is irrelevant.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hmm... after all the OT rambling and back-pedalling, I reiterate: this particular thread is (supposed to be) about the PotA TV series. It was shot on 35mm film and would benefit hugely from a Blu-ray upgrade. How other, more recent series were produced and whether or not they appear on Blu-ray is irrelevant.

First, you are the one that called my statement that Blu-rays would look "exactly the same as they do on DVD" as patently absurd. It was not patently absurd within the context that I was referring. Again, I said some shows, not all, but some shows would not benefit from a Blu-ray upgrade. Also, I was not OT rambling and back-pedalling. I was simply clarifying my statement. Yes, Planet of the Apes would benefit from a proper transfer to Blu-ray. If Fox were to go back to the original 35mm elements and do a proper restoration and bring it up to HD standards. The chances of this happening are slim given Fox's past history and how they treat their back catalog of shows. It would be my guess that Fox would simply use the current transfers they prepared for DVD and slap them on a Blu-ray. Therefore probably not yielding any further enhancement of picture quality. Perhaps a minimal upgrade at best but not much more. Other studios have done this and it has been pointed out on this forum before. The recent release of the original Battlestar Galactica comes to mind. Universal did little to no further restoration to the series and simply used their current digital transfers and slapped them on Blu-ray. This is not irrelevant but an example of the corner cutting that is sometimes done with Blu-ray releases and even some DVD sets. That was all I was trying to say. As for more recent shows, I don't buy current shows on Blu-ray or DVD. My collection is mostly 60s and 70s with a small amount of 80s and a very few 90s shows. The most recent show that I own is the Battlestar Galactica remake. So, I can't speak on how recent shows do or do not look on DVD or Blu-ray.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I just bought the fat case version off of Amazon several weeks ago after catching the end of an episode on Me-TV. It was still sealed from a 3rd party seller, so new copies can still be found if you look hard enough.

Just for the fun of it, I did an A-B picture comparison between the DVD and Me-TV's prints of the show, and the difference in picture quality is amazing, especially when you consider that the DVD set is already 15 years old. Aside from Me-TV's stubborn insistence on cropping these shows for widescreen, (which looks absolutely terrible IMO, and is the main reason why I won't watch their channel anymore.) Me-TV's print was extremely blurry looking. It was to the point where you couldn't even read the small font at the end of the credits. It reminded me of a cross between an old washed out SLP VHS and a 240p YouTube video. It almost makes me wonder exactly what kind of prints FOX is giving all these new retro sub-channels, they can't possibly still be using tapes, right? The DVD of course is crystal clear, really nice picture for such an early TV DVD release.

Even though I own the original DVD set, I too checked out the episodes on Me-TV. WOW...they are nothing like what was used for the discs. Those prints used for the DVD set would look fantastic slapped on blu ray with NO restoration. The new Buck Rogers blu-ray set appears to have been done in that manner and looks great. Not in the same way that Star Trek TOS, The Twilight Zone, Lost in Space look, but MUCH better than the DVD episodes.

On a side note, my Me-TV went widescreen on Sept. 23 or 24th of this year. When it started in this market it was in the correct 4:3 ratio. After a couple of years locally the station who carries it switched around the line up of their sub channels and started broadcasting Me-TV in the "stretched out" mode to fill the screen, I complained to the station and got no response. I then contacted Me-Tv directly and within 4 or 5 days it was back in the correct 4:3. I was sad to see last month that Me-TV has taken upon themselves to broadcast in this widescreen nonsense (although it's better than the fake "stretched" 16:9) for classic television.

I now return to you to the POTA on blu ray discussion.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe POTA was remastered in HD for the dvd release, and it still looks fantastic. IF it were remastered and released on Blu-Ray, I'm sure it would be an amazing upgrade. The fact that it is a sci-fi (which are more prone to Blu releases-Battlestar Galactica, Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, Star Trek) and the namesake it is attached to, I think the odds are actually pretty good.

The 50th anniversary is in 2018. IT would be a great time to release all Apes shows in Blu--including for the first time the Apes tv movies with the Galen intros/conclusion in HD. Audio Commentary by James Naughton, Ron Harper on the bulk of the episodes would also be a plus.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Keep in mind the prints on the DVD set were not restored and therefore the image quality looked poor,
especially the washed out colors. So the Blu-ray edition is welcomed to get decent versions of the episodes.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I think we were lucky the TV series and the animated show were even released on DVD in the first place. Definitely wouldn't happen now. FOX won't even release current shows on blu-ray. There does seem to be an interest in Europe and Australia for vintage TV series on blu-ray. Maybe Fabulous in the U.K. or Madman Entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks