What's new

placeing side fireing woofer speakers in entertainment center (1 Viewer)

MichaelDW

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to have a custom entertainment center built around my front l/r speakers, but the ones I would like are the boston acoustics or acoustic research models with the side fireing woofers. my question is would 1/2 inch or so be enough room for the speakers to get air and not sound distorted? has any one done this or placed thier speakers real close to a wall? I dont have room for sub and can't live without my bass. thanks for all your replys

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I would not recommend doing this. Speakers with side-firing woofers generally need some space on the sides to fire so that they do not sound boomy.
You should look at a front firing design. What is your budget for the main speakers? What amplification will you be using?
Some external subs have a very slim profile, and sometimes you can effectively place a bookshelf-type speaker on top of them. But these forward firing designs from the likes of nOrh (www.norh.com) and ACI (www.audioc.com) are not cheap.
One thing which might work for you is the Def Tech ProTower400. This is a direct radiating tower with built-in forward-firing powered woofers. www.definitivetech.com Such a speaker as this might do the trick for you. Otherwise, if you had some decent amplification, you could also try a nonpowered near full range loudspeaker with front firing drivers.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks