Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Pixar's Luca

Genre: Comedy, Family

Director: Enrico Casarosa

Cast: Jacob Tremblay, Jack Dylan Grazer, Emma Berman, Maya Rudolph, Marco Barricelli and Jim Gaffigan

Release: 2021-06-18

Plot: Set in a beautiful seaside town on the Italian Riviera, the original animated feature is a coming-of-age story about one young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer filled with gelato, pasta and endless scooter rides. Luca shares these adventures with his newfound best friend, but all the fun is threatened by a deeply-held secret: he is a sea monster from another world just below the water’s surface.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Per Disney's social media:

Directed by Enrico Casarosa and produced by Andrea Warren, the film will take audiences to a beautiful seaside town on the Italian Riviera to meet a boy named Luca as he experiences an unforgettable summer with new friends. “Luca” opens in theaters Summer 2021.

Luca.jpg

Luca image.jpg

The announcement of this film at this time is a surprise only insomuch as the timing. Until today, Pixar's 2021 film was unannounced and therefore a completely unknown quantity. Being unknown means that no one would really pay much attention if it was delayed. So I was expecting that Soul would be bumped from its date in November to next June, and then every other unknown Pixar title would get moved back one slot accordingly. The fact that they are actually announcing what Luca is today, with next summer's date still attached to it, would seem to indicate that they are still planning to release it on time.

If Soul actually opens in November prior to the availability of a coronavirus vaccine, it will be the first Pixar film I have ever skipped theatrically. I really don't want to that to have to happen. So I was/am really hoping that it gets pushed, which would theoretically then require this film to get pushed in turn.

But this sounds cool and that screen grab looks gorgeous, for whenever it does come out.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Deadline has some more:

Set in a beautiful seaside town on the Italian Riviera, the original animated feature is a coming-of-age story about one young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer filled with gelato, pasta and endless scooter rides. Luca shares these adventures with his newfound best friend, but all the fun is threatened by a deeply-held secret: he is a sea monster from another world just below the water’s surface.

“This is a deeply personal story for me, not only because it’s set on the Italian Riviera where I grew up, but because at the core of this film is a celebration of friendship. Childhood friendships often set the course of who we want to become and it is those bonds that are at the heart of our story in Luca,” said [director Enrico] Casarosa. “So in addition to the beauty and charm of the Italian seaside, our film will feature an unforgettable summer adventure that will fundamentally change Luca.”

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The fact that they are actually announcing what Luca is today, with next summer's date still attached to it, would seem to indicate that they are still planning to release it on time.
Since it's a movie set in the summer, they probably want to release it in the summer even if that meant bumping Soul to fall 2021. Personally, I think the delays of movies are mostly done now that AMC let Universal have VOD. Movies will come out and make up for their box office shortcoming with VOD a couple weeks later.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since it's a movie set in the summer, they probably want to release it in the summer even if that meant bumping Soul to fall 2021.

There is an Untitled Disney Animation Movie for Thanksgiving 2021, so that slot is not currently open for Soul.

As to the rest of your thinking, I really hope you are wrong.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I expect this film to get bumped too. You’ll see.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I expect this film to get bumped too.

Why does it have to get bumped?

Disney has already demonstrated a willingness to put a marquee Pixar title on Disney+.

Soul will be debuting there next month. You could even (sort of, with an asterisk) count Onward, which was moved to Disney+ in short order after theaters closed down. I suspect more people watched Onward on Disney+ than did in theaters.

if the theatrical business is not viable by next summer, I think it is entirely possible that they could maintain the current release date. All they would have to do is move it to Disney+ instead of theatrical. Simple. I would certainly enjoy having it to watch next summer, especially if the virus is not yet under control and I still have to stay home.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I meant delayed. Or sent to Disney + Not cancelled. Sorry for the confusion.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't mean to imply that you meant cancelled. But I think that as the pandemic drags on, more studios will by necessity start putting out more films that were once thought too big for streaming that way because at a certain point it doesn't make sense to hold everything indefinitely. If there was some magic date by which we knew the pandemic would be over and it would be safe to go out to the movies again, then holding everything would make sense. But that's not what's happening.

Since Disney has already demonstrated a willingness to put Soul on Disney+, we know that isn't off limits for this film either. So I absolutely think we will see the film next summer one way or the other.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
First poster from Disney social media:

Luvs.jpg
The trailer will drop tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Trailer:

This looks fun.

Also, Disney has announced members of the voice cast:
  • Jacob Tremblay (Room, Wonder) as Luca Paguro, a bright and inventive 13-year-old sea monster with endless curiosity—especially when it comes to the mysterious world above the sea;
  • Jack Dylan Grazer (We Are Who We Are, Shazam) voices Alberto Scorfano, an independent, free-spirited teenage sea monster with unbridled enthusiasm for the human world;
  • Emma Berman provides the voice of Giulia, an outgoing and charming adventurer who befriends Luca and Alberto;
  • Maya Rudolph (Bridesmaids, Saturday Night Live) voices Daniela, Luca’s mother;
  • Marco Barricelli voices Massimo, Giulia’s father;
  • Jim Gaffigan (The Pale Tourist, Troop Zero) voices Lorenzo, Luca’s father.

Although he's not on the list, I assume we can expect John Ratzenberger to be heard as well, since he has been in every Pixar film.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney's scheduling announcement today includes Luca scrapping its theatrical release altogether and debuting exclusively on Disney+ instead. Although Black Widow and Cruella are going to have the $30 Premier Access surcharge added and will go to theaters simultaneously, Luca will be included with the cost of subscriptions.

Luca will get a theatrical release in markets where Disney+ does not exist.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wonder what the feeling is among the staff at Pixar when Raya gets a theatrical release and their last two features have basically gone direct to video?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wonder what the feeling is among the staff at Pixar when Raya gets a theatrical release and their last two features have basically gone direct to video?
I hope it’s something like “luckily, we still have jobs when a lot of others don’t...regardless of how people see our work.”

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope it’s something like “luckily, we still have jobs when a lot of others don’t...regardless of how people see our work.”
Most likely on their practical side, but I'd think they'd be a bit disappointed on their creative side.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They might have saved me $30 but I do wish they had gone with the theatrical and D+ release so that way, if I get the vaccine by June, I'd go see it in the theater and if not, I'd have watched it on D+.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks