What's new

Pixar staying put?? (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Hmm... I hope this is true. It benefits both companies.

I think Walt Disney himself would have enjoyed the Pixar movies immensely, because he was an innovator himself, and he was utterly fascinated by new technology.

I just hope that there is no attempt to control Pixar utterly. It would be a shame to see their great, witty pictures homogenized and turned into formulaic "must see" tripe that is commonly released.

It would be nice, however, if Disney [as it is now] would show respect for its own in house animation staff, which was the cornerstone of its success in the first place.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
so does this mean they will now get to work on a Pixar led Toy Story 3 so they will re-release the first two on dvd? Sorry, I'm really kicking myself lately for not getting those when I had the chance. ;) Seriously though, this is probably good for both companies.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
From the press release Pixar has just released I would suspect that the New York Post is mistaken. Here is part of what the press release said:
Unless the rest of Pixar is outside of the loop it sounds like even if Pixar continues to work with Disney it will definitely be just a distribution deal. Personally I think the whole story is wrong since the New York Post remains the only source I know of that has reported this.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The new agreement between Pixar and THQ will begin in 2006 with Pixar's first wholly-owned feature film produced outside of its existing relationship with Disney and continue with the next three wholly-owned Pixar feature films."

Pixar creating product that they have sole ownership over does not exclude them from making movies where they split production costs and profits. This statement only means that Pixar and THQ will continue their relationship on Pixar's wholly-owned titles, it says nothing about Pixar forgoing co-production films in the future.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Basically what this deal is with THQ is that THQ will develop video games based on four Pixar films starting in 2006. As to its distribution agreement with Disney, Chief Financial Officer Simon Bax said:

~Edwin

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Right, but Pixar could always do a co-production deal with anyone - including Disney - if they so chose. This THQ agreement has nothing to do with that.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
During yesterday's earnings conference call by Eisner with analysts, Eisner said that he has had no further talks with Pixar on a new deal between the two companies.

~Edwin

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
What smells fishy to me about the New York Post story is that it talks about Pixar remaining in a co-production deal with Disney. I could believe that they would do a distribution deal, but anything more than that and I'll need more than the word from one newspaper. Has anyone heard any reliable source beside the New York Post confirm this story?

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
After yesterday's blowout earnings release from Pixar, it can now afford to wait until a new CEO is named at Disney in June to decide on its next studio distribution deal. No negotiations are currently underway with any studio but this may mean that it might stay put with Disney depending on who will be at their helm.

Pixar was also open to releasing its future feature films after Cars during the summer months to take advantage of the lucrative home video release during the holiday season.

~Edwin

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
From what I can tell, Pixar holds all the cards in negotiating future distribution deals, and that privilege has been well-earned, IMHO. Disney should do itself a major favor and cut any deal it can so as not to lose them. Will Disney make as much money as they used to with Pixar with this new deal? Of course not, but at least they'll make something and they'll continue to have the prestige that comes with being associated with the best animation studio producing films today.

Just my $.02...your mileage may vary.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
For one, they'd be distributing a hit film that could potentially conflict with the release of one of their own studio-financed films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks