What's new

Pioneer SD643HD5 vs Toshiba 65h82 (1 Viewer)

JasonRags

Auditioning
Well I was all set on the Toshiba and then read about the sale prices at Costco and had to steer in to take a look. It seems that whenever these deals happen my local stores always are out.

Well I went in and after dropping $150 on a bunch of stuff( is it possible to not drop at least $100 in there) sure enough there was three of them sitting there. I looked that the one they had working with Episode II playing. Honestly it didn't look all that great. I am thinking that it had more to do with the lights and the source more than the set though.

Anyway am I a fool to still buy the Toshiba over the Pioneer? The DVI input alone is tempting enough. Not to mention the built-in line doubler, more lines of resolution, etc.

What do you guys think? I am no expert by any standard and don't want to regret this purchase later.

Thanks
Jason

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Disclaimer: I own a Pioneer 643.

Not to mention the built-in line doubler, more lines of resolution, etc.
The line doubler in the Pioneer is very good. It was superior to last years Toshiba's, not sure about the new ones.

The fact that the Toshiba converts 480i into 540p for display is a bad thing (based on the reviews I have read). Supposedly converting 480i to 480p will produce an image with fewer artifacts.

As for the advertised "lines of resolution", that is basically marketing rubbish. More important is that both sets have 7" CRT's (as do most RPTV's).

The Pioneer was the hands down winner over Toshiba 1 year ago when I was shopping. Again, not sure if the new Toshiba's are any better.

Check avsforum.com and hometheaterspot.com. They have much more in depth info on RPTV's than can usually be found here at HTF.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks