What's new
World Wide Stereo

Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX dying? (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I had my receiver on today (like any other day) with the TV going. I went outside for a bit and came in to some awful noise. It's hard to describe, but it was garbled noise coming from the speakers and it wasn't constant. It came in spurts. I tried all the various inputs of my receiver. I tried a power cycle. I tried unplugging it for 30 minutes and plugging it back in. That only "fixed it" for a couple minutes.

So is my receiver dying? Granted it's about 7 or 8 years old and has served me well, but it's not like there was a power surge or anything. Do you have any tricks to try? Is it worth paying someone to fix it -- or is it going to cost enough to justify just buying a new receiver?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
I'd do a basic check-up first: Make sure all of your connections behind the receiver are good and tight, pay close attention to the speaker connections at the receiver and speaker ends, making sure there's no contamination or a short.
My Elite VSX-37TX gave me similar symptoms. When I checked it out, the speaker terminals were a little wet due to a fixture failure in the bathroom on the floor above. I got it fixed to the tune of @ $400. It was worth it to me because the 37TX has an AC-3RF demodulator, and I still use an LD player.
If you have no real attachment to that specific unit, you might want to consider an upgrade with HDMI capabilities. You can get some great deals on some great receivers these days.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

I agree, with the economy the way it is retailers will sometimes lower their prices and you have a deal right there, or just check ebay for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks