What's new

Pioneer DVL 919 image quality ? (1 Viewer)

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I need a LD player. The used Elite 59 I just bought used turned out to be a real dog with issues. How good is the image quality of the 919 ? I can get one brand new for around 700$ shipped. I understand the 919 build quality is not so hot but lightly used Elite 79 and 99 are getting scarce.

Sean

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sean, the 919's pic should be approximately equal to the 59's if your's ever worked correctly? Both of these player have what I like to call Pioneer's standard or average picture quality, which is pretty good. Best wishes!

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Sean, If you have many LD's I think you should save 600$ more and buy a new LD-S9. It's a MUCH better player.

I have owned a DVL-909 and seen a DVL-919 and those player are good but not in the same league as the LD-S9.

Take care!

-Mattias-

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Mattias I have considered getting a S9 but they are too pricey for me right now. I also dont want to be regretting not getting one while they where still availble so I am really in the middle of the fence on a S9 purchase right now. I just got started in LD last month. My collection is small and I am only interested in collecting 80's Rock and Jazz video and concert performances that will never be released on DVD. I am into LD collecting for the long run. I just picked up a mint CLD 704, With less than 4 hours on the unit for 350$ to get me started. I am looking now for a mint Elite 79 or 99 if the price is right or a new S9 if I canget wifes aproval for the purchase. I am only going to get a 919 as a last resort if I can not find what I really want.

Sean

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sean, the pic quality on the 79 is about the same as the 704. If you want a better pic get an S9, 99, 97, 95, or Panasonic LX-900. The 95 and LX-900 are getting old these days though. The 95 has great composite output but mediocre S-vidio. Come to think of it 97's are getting old too. 95's and 97's would be worth fixing up. Panasonic proably doesn't suppourt the 900 well anymore but it and it's clone the Denon MD-3500 are excellent players. Mattias tells everybody that.;) He should order 100 S9's and open up a dealership! The sound on the S9 isn't any better than a 79 or 99 but the S-Video pic sure is. Best wishes from Laserland!

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Sean, If I were you I should:
1. Try to get a used one from Daniel Law.
2. Or try Nicolas and pre-pay him and save the rest of the money and pay him the rest later.
I have also recently (-00) begin collection LD's, I have over 300 now and a big collection of 270 more next month.
Ok, I have had LD 2 times before, in the early 91-92 I got a CLD-501 but I sold that because I was in school so I could not afford any movies :frowning:
Second time was in -95 when I got a CLD-503 and than I got about 100 LD's. But I sold that too with all the movies, don't know why but I did. Then I got a dvd player in -98 and a DVL-909 in -99. And I sold that one and got a CLD-925 for LD's.
And after sneaked on the a.v.l and avsforum and saw what Rachael, Brett, Hunter, Thad, Ivar and all the other people said about the japanese player I KNOW that I wanted one too. So last august i got one HLD-X9 and it is really a SUPERB machine. It's build like high end hifi, gave a picture I could not believe. After than I got more and more LD's and now I have one LD-S9 I also and have one more HLD-X9 and one HLD-X0 waiting for me at Daniel Law.
So, I think you SHOULD get your wife some flowers and a good dinner and than mail Daniel or Nicolas :D
Rachael, hahahahaha...I got my LD-S9 yesterday and I have to say it looks cool. Not as nice as the X9 but better than all other players I have had before. I have also tested the LD-G on my japanese Pulp Fiction disc, a really cool feature. I cannot understand why not LD-G become a success?! I will test it against my X9 some day.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:) Mattias does this mean you don't want the Magnavox toploader anymore?
In regard to LD-G, I think it was introduced too late in the game, firstly. In Japan there was already a huge base of non-LD-G players. Beyond that, I think the studios wanted "burned-in" subtitles on most Oriental releases because of copying paranoia. The only U.S. model to ever have LD-G was the Denon MD-3500. I think this was because Denon cloned a Japanese Panasonic model and just didn't bother to remove the LD-G function. I don't know of a U.S. Laserdisc that has a Graphics track. There ain't that many Mericans that habla or poly vous them thar fur-in landguages, know what I mean Vern? Evidently, they didn't think that the U.S.'s Espanol speaking minority needed an LD-G track. Given the market, that was muy correcto, si?
As far as the copying paranoia goes, notice that Hi-Vision discs and players don't suppourt LD-G. How's that jive with your conspiracy theories? The sub's are all burned-in! LD-G would proably of been a great feature for Europe except that due to Pal's greater need for disc space for the video portion, there might not have been any space left for it?
Are you suprised how close the S9's pic is to the X9's? Best wishes!

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Are you suprised how close the S9's pic is to the X9's?
As I haven't tested them against each other I can not tell yet. But I must say I think the X9 looks cooler and better build. And X9 is also more silent, but the S9 looks like a great machine. I will get back to you when I compare them.
Take care!
-Mattias-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.