Pioneer DV434 Progressive - $179.99

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Dautel, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

FYI - www.buy.com has the Pioneer DV434 in their pricemistake of the day today for $179.95. Am I remembering correctly that this was the player that was not a true progressive (no 3:2 pulldown)?
    If anyone owns this player please comment about it's performance and value at this price.

2. Rohini

Rohini Extra

It seems to be great deal!! I checked the price for this across internet. There is a lot of price difference.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I have a 434. I like it. I have it hooked up to a Toshiba 40H80. I'm not a videophile by any means, but I'm very pleased with it. The only discs I ever have problems with are rental discs that are scratched. I've never experienced a disc that wouldn't play. In my opinion, it's a good deal.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

It's worth $125 at the most. Costco sells it for $150 everyday.

For $180, you can get a Toshiba 3750 Progressive Scan player, and the difference is night and day.

And no, this 434 does not have 3:2 pulldown; just a cheap line doubler. Text is almost unreadable on a big screen.

5. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

bite the bullet, spend an extra 20-40 bucks and get the Panasonic DVD-RP56... it is one outstanding machine.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yep, that Panasonic was worth the $200 I got it for.

7. Aaron_Meyers

Aaron_Meyers Auditioning

The one thing about Pioneer DVD players that I've seen is that they will play just about any disk format I can think of. SVCD, VCD, MP3, etc etc etc. I own a Pioneer DV-440 that gleefully plays even the most questionable of disks.