What's new

Pioneer DV-4Ai and Integra DPS 8.3 (1 Viewer)

Paul Johnson

Auditioning
Just thought I'd pass along my opinions on these 2 new universal players. I purchased the Pioneer DV-47Ai several weeks ago and was totally thrilled with the sound. I purchased primary for SACD. DVD Audio is nice but not my cup of tea. Unfortunatly, my snobbish thinking could not get over paying $1000 for the build quality that this machine exhibits go I returned it after 11 days and waited until the new Integra came to my local dealer.

I purchased the 1st player my dealer had sight unseen. As soon as I hooked it up the sound was, sorry, dead when compared to what I heard thru the 47Ai.

After doing some reseach I think the Integra is a warmed over first generation Pioneer 47A. The menu's were just like it.

My primary reason as stated was for SACD. The Integra did not have the magic of the 47Ai. CD's, DVD Audio, and SACD all sounded thin and not as dynamic. I kept the Integra 4 days and had enough.

Based on everything I'm reading and hearing most of the universal players are based on the Pioneer 47A, not 47Ai. That distinction belongs to Pioneer for now. I'm seriously considering going back to my dealer and saying I made a mistake and getting the 47Ai or 45A; or I'm going to CES this year, maybe I should wait and SEE..

Bryan Guth

Agent
Thanks for the feedback. I totally understand the price vs. weight issue--when something tops out at over $1,000 you want it to feel like it's a solid piece. I have used Pioneer video pieces for years, including three different LD players and CD players. I may still audition the Integra, but it's somewhat disappointing when a reputable manufacturer piggybacks off someone else's design. Then again, that happens in any industry...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks