What's new

Pioneer 811 - Why Analog / ProLogic II during test tones and DVD menus? (1 Viewer)

aldamon

Second Unit
Hello Pioneer 811 owners. Can anyone tell me how to force Digital / DD playback during test tones AND during DVD menus? The only time I can get the receiver to switch to digital playback is when a DVD plays. Otherwise, the receiver is always in Analog / ProLogic II mode right up until the point the actual movie starts. The ProLogic II output during menus I can live with I guess, but having Analog / ProLogic II display on the receiver during test tones is really bothering me.
Thanks!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Not a Pioneer owner but...

I assume your speaking of the internal test tones? I believe they are always generated in Pro-Logic...you need to use a test disc such as AVIA, Video Essentials, or Sound & Vision to generate tones in DD.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I'm a little confused. If all you have is a digital stream from the receiver to the player then everything is digital until it reaches the receiver. The DVD menus are simply encoded in DPL and not in DD 5.1 - just like almost all the "making of" type extras you find on DVDs. It should say Digital on the left hand side of the LED display and then say DPL or DPLII to the right of that. As for the test tones, I believe Avia's test tones are encoded in DD and the receiver should be in that mode when playing them.

cheers,

--tom

aldamon

Second Unit
As for the test tones, I believe Avia's test tones are encoded in DD and the receiver should be in that mode when playing them.
Yeah, I know but my 811 won't kick into DD until a DVD runs. For test tones it remains in ProLogic II. It's funny. If I use Sound and Vision for its test tones the receiver switches to DD. If I switch back to the receiver's test tones while the DVD is still playing the receiver pops back into ProLogic. Good thing I have S&V!

Any 811 owners out there? I'm kind of curious why internal test tones would be presented in ProLogic!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Aldamon, welcome to the world of 5.1 :emoji_thumbsup:
I've never actually used the receiver's test tones so I can't answer that question. It's probably better to stick with the Sound and Vision test tones anyhow since that test mimics your dvd playing setup.
Also, I noticed my message may have been a little misleading. menus and extras can be mixed in 5.1 but normally they are not. This, I assume, is up to the developers of the dvd.
cheers,
--tom

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Aldamon,

The noise generators inside these products all are separate signal generation programs running totally independant of any "front end" decoding modes. What each product has on the display during the test noise signal is immaterial as it has no bearing on the accuracy of the noise signals whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks