Pioneer 811 - Why Analog / ProLogic II during test tones and DVD menus?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aldamon, Jul 12, 2002.

1. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

Hello Pioneer 811 owners. Can anyone tell me how to force Digital / DD playback during test tones AND during DVD menus? The only time I can get the receiver to switch to digital playback is when a DVD plays. Otherwise, the receiver is always in Analog / ProLogic II mode right up until the point the actual movie starts. The ProLogic II output during menus I can live with I guess, but having Analog / ProLogic II display on the receiver during test tones is really bothering me.
    Thanks!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Not a Pioneer owner but...

I assume your speaking of the internal test tones? I believe they are always generated in Pro-Logic...you need to use a test disc such as AVIA, Video Essentials, or Sound & Vision to generate tones in DD.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I'm a little confused. If all you have is a digital stream from the receiver to the player then everything is digital until it reaches the receiver. The DVD menus are simply encoded in DPL and not in DD 5.1 - just like almost all the "making of" type extras you find on DVDs. It should say Digital on the left hand side of the LED display and then say DPL or DPLII to the right of that. As for the test tones, I believe Avia's test tones are encoded in DD and the receiver should be in that mode when playing them.

cheers,

--tom

4. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Aldamon, welcome to the world of 5.1 [​IMG]
    I've never actually used the receiver's test tones so I can't answer that question. It's probably better to stick with the Sound and Vision test tones anyhow since that test mimics your dvd playing setup.
    Also, I noticed my message may have been a little misleading. menus and extras can be mixed in 5.1 but normally they are not. This, I assume, is up to the developers of the dvd.
    cheers,
    --tom

6. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

Aldamon,

The noise generators inside these products all are separate signal generation programs running totally independant of any "front end" decoding modes. What each product has on the display during the test noise signal is immaterial as it has no bearing on the accuracy of the noise signals whatsoever.