What's new

Pioneer 525 - known failure? (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have now seen this twice. Once on a test player at work, once on my home player.
Both died in what appears to be a laser pickup problem as best as I can tell.
Code runs because you get output on the display, tray opens, but you can simply never load the DVD. It's not just loading DVD code problems though, as neither player seems to even be able to run a CD either.
I had been suspicous that the test player at work had been bumped or something, but my home player never moved or temp. cycled. The player at work lasted about 4 months. My home player lasted about 18 months.
I was wondering if this failure has already made the rounds of discussion here. I'm certain it must be a known fault with Pioneer, although I'm just getting ready to investigate and see what they say.
I used to respect Pioneer, but now... a DVD player should last at least 2 years. This is a joke.
------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Can't really help you here. I have a 525 and have not had any problems with it (knock on wood). Although this isn't the greatest player ever made, and nobody seems to love it, I don't remember reading posts that there was either a design or manufacturing defect, although that's certainly possible.
Good luck in you hunt. I'll certainly be watching this thread.

Han

Second Unit
I have one too. No failure yet, but I don't doubt it could happen someday. I agree, not the greatest player, but at the time, it was the only one I felt had the least amount of problems with certain troublesome DVDs.
...Until a progressive player comes out that I like...

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I had a 414, and right before it was a year old it had a problem with the laser pickup. Fortunately, it was fixed under warranty. I gave it to a friend and it has worked fine for two years now after the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks