What's new

PIO-DV563A Melted??? (1 Viewer)

James^Brian

Agent
My digital audio keeps dropping out on my PIO 563A while watching movies. I know its the DVD player bc I have switched it with my previous DVD player. In order to get audio back I need to turn it off and on. I kept it on top of my reciever (Pio 45THX) and I think the heat coming off the reciever caused some internal problems (melting something??). What do you think? Will they fix it if it's within a year or will they tell me it was my fault?

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, your at fault. The heat generated surely did the damage.

I was using a cheapy DPL Technics receiver back around 94 and I had my dual cassette deck on the shelf above. I didn't have the sense back then to take the glass doors off and open a good ventilation hole in the thin woodboard backing. Because of the trapped heat, it caused problems in my cassette deck. Most likely the heat expanded some circuitboard, causing one of the soldier joints to crack. That's like trying to find a needle in a haystack so I scrapped that cassette deck.

Now all my racks are open, or I permanently take the glass doors off and make sure there's plenty of open space in the back of the rack for ventilation.

This may have not been such a problem if I set up my receiver on the very top shelf as many recommend. Today, my recent receivers have been 30lbs, 44lbs, and 37lbs so they always go to the bottom shelf due to their heavier weight. I now make sure that there's no heat build up anywhere in the rack by giving plenty of room between components and the shelf above plus making sure they are not close to the wall behind. Ventilation is the key, heat needs to escape so that cool air can be pulled in.

You can probably get the Pioneer fixed under warranty as long as there's no concrete evidence that you have caused the problem. However, more problems down the line 'may' crop up from the heat damage. Heat shortens the life of any component.

Good luck and have a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks