What's new

Piece together now, or Onkyo HTS760 5 weeks from now? (1 Viewer)

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really itching for a home theater set up. The thing is, I work for Circuit City, and one of my friends said that the Sherwood 6108 is a "major P.O.S.". My discount doesn't get activated until about 5 weeks from now, which really really sucks, because if it were active now, I could get the Onkyo HTS760 for $334 dollars. I am not really that hard up for a 6.1 system, I just want a DTS system that sounds nice. The dimensions for the room are about 10x8, but it's also being used as a bedroom.

Here are my options.
1) Sherwood 6108 paired with HTS500 Onkyo speakers (From what I've read here, it's a nice set up, even though my co-worker says it's a P.o.S. I guess I should hear it before I make any judgement?)
$310 Total (If I buy receiver from work, and buy the Onkyo speakers refurbished)

2) Wait until discount gets activated, and then buy the Onkyo HTS760
$335 Total

I'm not rich so I don't plan on spending more than $400, because I still need to give myself room to save up for a 32" VVega Television

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
without question, especially since you work there - go and listen for yourself.

decide which sounds better to you.

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I guess 335 is a steal for that system, considering, from what I've heard it's the best "Home Theater in a Box" set.

New question - Are we allowed to talk about region free DVD players here? What's a good one? What's a good single disc, DVD player?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have the Sherwood 6108 and it is anything but a POS. It works great for me. I have been using it now for about a month with no issues and both the DD,DTS, and Prologic II functons work fine. If the Onkyo is equal to or has more features I would wait for the Onkyo. If you must have a surround system now, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Sherwood again. I would however hesitate to get any HTiB unless it has a separate receiver and DVD player. I don't particularly care for integrated units because of the impossibility of upgrading the components.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks