Piece together now, or Onkyo HTS760 5 weeks from now?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mando-R, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

I'm really itching for a home theater set up. The thing is, I work for Circuit City, and one of my friends said that the Sherwood 6108 is a "major P.O.S.". My discount doesn't get activated until about 5 weeks from now, which really really sucks, because if it were active now, I could get the Onkyo HTS760 for $334 dollars. I am not really that hard up for a 6.1 system, I just want a DTS system that sounds nice. The dimensions for the room are about 10x8, but it's also being used as a bedroom.

Here are my options.
    1) Sherwood 6108 paired with HTS500 Onkyo speakers (From what I've read here, it's a nice set up, even though my co-worker says it's a P.o.S. I guess I should hear it before I make any judgement?)
    $310 Total (If I buy receiver from work, and buy the Onkyo speakers refurbished)

2) Wait until discount gets activated, and then buy the Onkyo HTS760
    $335 Total

I'm not rich so I don't plan on spending more than $400, because I still need to give myself room to save up for a 32" VVega Television

2. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I'd wait the 5 weeks.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

without question, especially since you work there - go and listen for yourself.

decide which sounds better to you.

4. JerryCulp

JerryCulp Stunt Coordinator

Wait 5 weeks.

5. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. I guess 335 is a steal for that system, considering, from what I've heard it's the best "Home Theater in a Box" set.

New question - Are we allowed to talk about region free DVD players here? What's a good one? What's a good single disc, DVD player?

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have the Sherwood 6108 and it is anything but a POS. It works great for me. I have been using it now for about a month with no issues and both the DD,DTS, and Prologic II functons work fine. If the Onkyo is equal to or has more features I would wait for the Onkyo. If you must have a surround system now, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Sherwood again. I would however hesitate to get any HTiB unless it has a separate receiver and DVD player. I don't particularly care for integrated units because of the impossibility of upgrading the components.