Picture soft on DVP-860C? recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed L, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Hello all:

I recently did a Sears price match on this dvd megachanger and after setting (SVideo connection)it up I noticed that the picture appears a little soft compared to my Tosh 2109? I'm curious has anyone else who owns this model noticed this and if so any solutions or recommendations? I have looked at the DVDO Iscan but not sure I want to spend $500+ to improve the picture. Any help is appreciated

Ed -

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ed, many people say that Sony DVD players give a soft picture. While some like it and consider it to be film-like, so feel it lacks detail. Toshiba is generally at the other end of the spectrum from Sony, and often to a fault due to jaggies upon anamorphic downconversion, so I am not surprised that the soft picture from the Sony jumps out at you. If you are sure that your TV is calibrated properly and you are not happy with the picture from the Sony player, I would frankly return it and get another model. I don't think the 'CX860 is such a great player to warranty a $500 investment in an add-on. That's just me. If you do return the 'CX860, check out the Pioneer DV-F727 301-disc player. It sells for around $500 now and is well regarded.