What's new

Picture quality of FP versus RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Eric T

Second Unit
I currently have a Mits 55807 RPTV which I have tweaked a bit and am quite happy with the picture quality. However, after seeing some FP setups in my local AV store, I would very much like to get a large screen FP system!

Assuming I can sell my RPTV for about $1500 or so, I would have $3k-$4k to spend on a FP and screen.

I'm just wondering if I will be able to match the picture quality of my RPTV with an LCD or DLP projector in this price range? I'm very new to projectors, so any input would be greatly appreciated as I contemplate this change in my system. Also, any advice on which models to check out would be welcome.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Hi Eric. There are several front projectors worth considering in your price range. Check out projectorcentral.com for reviews. To name a few, check out the new Piano from PLUS Home Theater, the TW100 from Epson and the PG-M20X from Sharp. Each of these units has gotten very solid reviews. I too am currently searching for a projector in this price range and I'll likely buy one of these unit between now and Halloween. Gotta be ready for fright night! ;)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Damn Greg, you hit my thinking exactly! I want to get a projector by Halloween but the timing is a bit tricky. New Panasonics coming out of Japan plus CEDIA mean the future for affordable projectors is kind of a question mark at the moment ... Better to wait a while, but I can't miss the perfect night for a little horror film festival!

Eric T

Second Unit
Thanks for the recommendations, Greg. I have already been reading posts about a couple of those models, and also about the AE100 and the 13HD.

But does anyone have any feedback on picture quality of projectors in this price range compared to an RPTV? Like I mentioned, I would like a really big screen, but I've been reading a lot about screen-door, rainbows, dead pixels, poor black levels, etc. Frankly, all these things have me worried that I will end up with a big picture that doesn't look very good.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i know that you are asking about DLP and LCD, but in your price range none of the digital products can touch the PQ of a CRT. for $3-4K you can get a reliable retubed crt pj that will outperform even $10-15K DLP projectors.
if you are going to stick with DLP or LCD, i'd recommend the DLP units. LCD technology has peaked, imo, and DLP has surpassed it. make sure that you have an opportunity to view the projected image at length before you buy. i've found that B&W images are good to check for the rainbows on DLP units, bursts of color stand out against the B&W image.

i've heard rumors of pretty significant price drops on the HD2 units being released in the near future. since these are the high end dlp chips, it should push prices for the lesser machines down as well, you may be able to buy a lot more projector for the same or less money in the near future.

Eric T

Second Unit
Thanks Craig, you're right, I was referring to DLP and LED projectors, since I didn't think there were any new CRTs available in my price range.

The reason I was sort of restricing myself to DLP and LED is the fact that I don't have very good light control in my room, and while I can make it dimmer during the day, I can never make it completely dark. I have heard that CRTs require a very dark room, whereas some of the LED and DLP projectors can handle ambient light better, due to their higher output. The other reason is that it seems like it would be much easier to handle, mount, and set up an LED or DLP (ie, digital) projector than a CRT. Since this will be my first one, I thought I should get something that doesn't require lots of esoteric knowledge or an ISF technician to set up reasonably well. Of course, if these aren't such big issues with CRTs as I am perceiving them to be, then I will certainly consider a good used CRT.

What are the HD2 units you mentioned? Is that a type of DLP, or is it a specific model?

Thanks,
Eric

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How much is the Sharp 9000 retailing for over there in the US? This is a decent DLP projector but I would not discount LCD either like the Sony 12HT, the Boxlight 20HD or the Sanyo PLV-70HT, all great WXGA LCD projectors.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
What are the HD2 units you mentioned? Is that a type of DLP, or is it a specific model?
Texas Instruments makes the DLP chips. currently the majority of chips made are 4:3 aspect ratio, so the native AR of the pj's are 4:3, so what happens is you don't use all of the pixels when you use a wider ratio. and you get a lot of light spill from the unused "black bars".
TI makes a 16:9 chip, the HD1, used in pj's built by five mfrs (seleco, sharp, marantz, i forget the other two!). because it is a native 16:9 panel, you use all of the pixels for better resolution and no light spill from unused pixels. unfortunately, TI only sells the HD1 chip to those five mfrs and doesn't sell very many, keeping prices artificially high. fortunately (rumor has it) TI will be selling the next 16:9 chip (the HD2)in larger numbers and to more mfrs, driving prices down considerably. list on the HD1 based sharp 9000 is $10k, with street pricing in the $7-8k range. with the wider availability of chips and more mfrs making projectors, the HD2 based pj's could street in the $4-6k range (and i did say "could" not "will").:)
i've literally agonized over which route to go, dlp or crt, for the last year, i've recently decided to go crt. the sharp 9000 sure looks nice, tho...:)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I too am looking to replace my old LCD but I am willing to wait to see how the HD2 market plays out. Should be very interesting and, to answer original post, I would say these newer models/technology mentioned in the last few posts is more than comparable to the best RPTV but obviously with a bigger picture.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
i've heard rumors of pretty significant price drops on the HD2 units being released in the near future. since these are the high end dlp chips, it should push prices for the lesser machines down as well, you may be able to buy a lot more projector for the same or less money in the near future.
My guess is that the new HD2 units, at least from those companies with HD1 units, will list for about the same as their HD1 units listed at introduction. Remember that the HD2 chip will not be the only change in their projectors, as a lot of time has passed to get other aspects of their products improved. I do expect to see a price decline in the HD1 units before the HD2 units come out, but at some point soon after a company makes the HD2 units available, they will stop manufacturing their HD1 units.
Again, this is all pure conjecture on my part, except for the improvements part, as some improvements for certain HD2 models have already leaked out. We should know more after CEDIA.
Doug

Eric T

Second Unit
Thanks all, you've given me some good leads to follow up on.

What's the timetable for the HD2 introduction, any idea? I would like to get set up before the end of the year.

So far I've been eyeing the Sanyo PLV-70 and the Epson TW100. The Epson has the price I'm looking for, but I'm really attracted to the high light output, higher resolution, and higher contrast ration of the Sanyo. Should I consider a used PLV-70?

Eric T

Second Unit
Yep! I've read most of the current reviews over there, they are really good (the reviews, I mean). I'm going to keep my eye on the prices for the Sanyo. Maybe I'll get lucky and see a drop between now and the time that I'm ready to make the leap :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks