What's new

Picked up the Yamaha 1300!!! (1 Viewer)

Real Name
John Doroshenk
I guess I'm a believer now in receivers making a difference, I picked up a Yamaha 1300 yesterday was watching movies and listening to music and man, the thing kept getting louder and louder, and more clear as the night went on, is this what you all mean by breakin, I had it -30db to start and by the end of harry potter I had it down to -40db and it was still very loud. Is that usual for a new receiver? But so clean and nice to listen too. Sure beats my crappy old JVC into the ground. A great sounding machine that is for sure. Now if I could just figure out the remote a little better I'll be good to go, it takes me a while to figure out how to get to the speaker level part of the menu, and I'm not sure if I have to adjust it for each DSP, but whatever mode I was in, it sounded fantastic.

John

Chad T

Auditioning
What did you own before? How does it compare? What other receivers did you look at? What is your total setup (speakers, an additional amp?, etc);

Sorry for all the questions but this is one of the receivers I am looking at.

Thanks,
-Chad

Real Name
John Doroshenk
I picked it up for 799 at tweeter, thats the price I've seen everywhere. I owned a JVC 1080 I think, it had this annoying hiss when there was silence, I put up with it for about 2 years now, so it was a nice upgrade, I looked at the denon 3802 and the harman kardon 520, I'm not really sure why I went Yamaha, I just liked the sound and the all the features. I heard about the build issues with both Denon and HK, but never heard anything bad about Yamaha except that they may be bright? I don't even know what that means, bright, thats a visual term being applied to sound, but it just sounds great too me. I've got right now, a SVS 16-48pci sub, and polks all around, the RT600i's up front, the CS245i in the center and the FX 300i's in the rear. I really couldn't believe the difference in sound during my quick run throughs last night. I need to find a center speaker, might upgrade to the 400 center and put the 245 in the rear, to see what that sounds like.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- Sounds like you have a 7.1 set up? (I edited this to include the info I sent to Yammie...)
My question is... :) does it have soundfields that support
a 6.1 speaker system with 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS sources?
In other words, I don't necessarily want to use DD EX
or DTS-ES decoding on "std" DD/DTS sources because the
L + R surround soundfield can collapse into the rear
center if there is too much mono (in phase) material
common to them both.
More specifically, if I do have the receiver
configured with a center rear channel, does any of the
following DSP processing route info to that channel?
1) Dolby Digital Enhanced (EX off)
2) DTS Enhanced (ES off)
3) Any of the Movie Theater 1 programs (Spectacle, Sci Fi)
4) Any of the Movie Theater 2 programs (Adventure, General)
Also, from the manual it look likes there is no way to
get a 6.1 soundfield with DPL II?
>
I've seen them as cheap as $599, but maybe not from an authorized dealer.
Congrats! :)

Real Name
John Doroshenk
Kevin, I'm not quite sure, I don't have a rear speaker yet so I'm not sure, from what I gather from the manual and using the onscreen display, you can easily turn off the center rear anytime you want. So if those DSP's do send it to that speaker, and the sound field collapses, you can turn it off.

Question for anyone: On my old reciever I never used the DSP's cause they sounded like ass, so I'm not use to using them, whats the best set up for them, on this yamaha has movie theater 1 and movie theater 2, which one are you all using? Do you switch between the different types of movies and the DSP? Also, does switching DSP's change my speaker calibrations, sorry for such easy questions that I could figure out myself, but I haven't had much time this week to play with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks