What's new

Picked up The Sopranos SACD. A must-have! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I picked up The Sopranos Peppers & Eggs: Music From The HBO Original Series SACD set today. It is fantastic! A definite must-have! First, the compilation is very diverse. There's some great stuff here! Secondly, the sound is outstanding! Now, I've only listened to disc one thus far, but highlights in my opinion include, The Campbell Brothers with Katie Jackson "I've Got A Feeling", Kasey Chambers "The Captain", and Nils Lofgren "Black Books". The acoustic guitar on the Lofgren track is mind-boggling. This is one great disc. I will be switching to disc two shortly and will post my thoughts later. Can't wait! Anyway, if you have an SACD player, get this two-disc set! If you don't have an SACD player, what are you wasting time reading this post for? Go get one! :)
Oh my g-d! I'm listening to Frank Sinatra "Baubles, Bangles and Beads" as I type. I nearly fell off the chair! Old Blue Eyes' voice is so clear, it's stunning! I will have to hit repeat to hear this track again. Stunning!
If Sony gives us more compilations like this one on SACD, I will be a very happy man. Me so happy!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee asked:

Is the Sinatra a new SACD?
Sorry if it wasn't clear (pardon the pun), but the Sinatra track is on disc one of The Sopranos set. I was referring to a Sinatra song, not an album. Hence the quotation marks and not italics.

If you pick up these SACDs, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Michael_T

Second Unit
The Sopranos SACD compilation is very good. I was luck to be able to pick this up when it was first released at Compact Disc World in NJ - where they had it mismarked for $15.99 and they honored the price.
I bought the disc mainly to get some Elvis Costello and Rolling Stones on SACD - but there were quite a few other tracks that surprised as well.
There are great cuts on this disc, and some that, well, just don't do it for me. But at $15.99 I can't complain.
At least I got a 2 minute Elvis Costello cut on SACD. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
$15.99?! You lucky dog! I bought it at Best Buy for the standard $32.99. Oh well. You can't put a price on good music. :)
Eric,
No problem. If you pick it up, let me know what you think.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I picked this up from Tower for $35.00. I was desperate.
Great SACD...love it..love it..love it...
Waiting for more Super Audio product. :)
Lee

Randy Schimka

Auditioning
Price Alert on the Sopranos SACD Set:

I bought 1 of the 3 copies at the Fry's Electronics store in San Diego last night for $21.99. They're all marked at that price and rang up at the register at that price...I also bought the Destiny's Child SACD for $16.99...Hope the info helps a local San Diego person...

Randy

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Randy, I have been reading on Audio Asylum that Fry's is reasonable on SACDs. Seeing as I live in Delaware, that doesn't help me though. :frowning: Have you seen the Concert for New York SACD set there? I wonder how much they sell it for. I bought it at Tower Records for a whopping $39. Ouch! Oh well. It's about the music, right? :)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Keith,

holy cripes! lol...$39 for "Concert" I hate Tower most of the time!

Eric.

Randy Schimka

Auditioning
Hi Keith,

Fry's had a pretty limited selection of SACDs. They also had a couple of DVD-A discs on display for $19.99 (Al Green and a classical title I think).

Unfortunately, they didn't have the Concert for NYC. But I'll keep my eyes open as I go there once a week or so...$16.99 seems to be their price point for a single SACD, whether the disc is Stereo or Multi-Channel...

Randy

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

Yeah, $39 is hefty. Tower's prices suck, but I really wanted the Concert SACD in spite of what others have said of the sonics. Since people had been saying that Compact Disc World was only a couple bucks cheaper, I but the bullet and went with Tower since my dad was near the one in King of Prussia last week.

Randy,

Fry's sounds like Compact Disc World in New Jersey. Great prices most of the time, but limited selection.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Hey Keith, so this is a must have huh. I have picked this up a couple of different times but have never bought it due to the $32 price tag. So is it one of those reference quality discs that I can show off to my friends? Some of my friends are still not quite sold on sacd and I want something to convince them otherwise. What the heck, I'll pick it up tomorrow, I absolutely love the show so I gotta have the soundtrack.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Jeff,

This is well worth the $32 for the Police/Henry Mancini, Sinatra and Sopranos theme song to name a few of the excellent tracks on here. A definite reference quality disc for SACD 2 channel.

Eric.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, now, I don't have the CD version of The Sopranos album yet, so I can't say how good the SACD is in a relative sense. In an absolute sense, the SACD is incredible. The first time I played the Sinatra track, I nearly fell out of my chair. I couldn't believe how clear Sinatra's voice is on that disc. It's worth having just for that track. However, there is a lot of other quality material there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.