What's new

Phillips ProntoNeo TSU500 or Sony RM-AV3000? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a great user friendly remote for about $200 as a nice little upgrade to my system. My main two considerations are the Phillips ProntoNeo or the new Sony RM-AV3000. IMO the Sony looks nicer because it has a nicer screen, but then again, I haven't seen a really nice photo of the Neo. Does the Sony's keys, not the virtual ones, light up or glow in the dark? Also, what is the advantage of having an RS232 port in a remote(as you can tell, I'm, very new to upgrading remotes)? What can possibly be upgraded in a remote? Oh, I will be replacing my Onkyo 797 remote, the Onkyo CHAD is way to expensive. So which of the two would you suggest?

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome, Kyle, to the wonderfull world of HT remotes! A few months ago I owned the RM-AV2100, the model the RM-AV3000 replaced. I found it to be a very capable remote, however you must realize that the screens on both of these remotes are not your typical LCD screens. They're more like the screens on the radio in your car; they have little cells of predefined text and icons that light up. It's difficult to describe, so I would suggest that you find one and play with it before you decide.
As far as the Neo, that is, IMO, a much more capable remote if your willing to give it alot of time and a little TLC. The RS-232 port allows you to hook it up you your computer and custom create button layouts for the LCD (yes, its a real LCD unlike the sony's). It will also give you an avenue by which to upgrade the firmware of your remote if you ever had to do so. I currently own the Philips Pronto TSU-2000, the Neo's older brother, and I love it. But like I said, it takes alot of TLC and time with ProntoEdit (the computer editing program) to realize the potential of the remote. Also, the great thing about any Pronto based remote is the large online community. Try www.remotecentral.com for starters.
If I had to make that choice, I'd go for the Pronto. There is NOTHING like it in terms of customization.
BTW - Marantz has a remote out that looks identical to the Neo but has better styling and looks cooler. Hardware-wise they are the same, so buy which ever one you think looks better (or can get a better price on!)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I was just thinking of stepping up to the TSU2000, but wow, $400 plus $70 for charger is an AWFUL LOT to spend on a remote! How is the display on your TSU-2000? Also, how reliable are these remotes? Is it safe to buy these things over the net, I've noticed very varried prices, but I like to have a warranty, or some type of thoughtr that it is very reliable? I just noticed that the Marantz 5000i is a very heavy remote, nearly a pound:eek:! Onecall says they have the 3200 for $399, but I think it is a mistake, I htink they mean the 5000i because they have a pic of the 5000i and describe the 5000i, it does look very nice.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,
I am also interested in the Pronto remotes, but won't be buying for a little while. I came across this as I was checking prices: Link Removed
They seem legit, and the remote/charger combo is the best price I've seen on new units.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
The RM AV3000 looks like a nice remote, however it seems to have a bunch of interface problems, just like the previous Sony touchscreen remotes.

I'm a big fan of the Pronto family of remotes because of the "every key can be a macro" model of programming. So I would suggest either the Pronto Neo or the Marantz RC3200. I've been using a Pronto TSU1000 since they first became available back in the winter of 1998 and have never had any problems with mine. I recently upgraded to a Marantz RC5200 and have been quite happy with it.

As far as battery life and the charger goes, my experience with the TSU1000 is that the batteries last for several months before needing replacing, even with heavy use. Physically, my TSU1000 has been through many, many drops, kicks, and drop kicks w/o any damage. I would consider them to be quite durable.

Get the Pronto family member rather than the Sony. They'll take a bit more programming but will reward you with incredible ease of use in the end.

BTW, if you have a CD jukebox of some sort get a TSU1000 or TSU2000 (better) and you can load your entire CD collection into the remote for one touch access to any CD in your collection. The Pronto NEO/RC3200 does not have enough memory to handle a task such as this.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
John Sully:
How would I have one touch access to any CD with the Pronto, if my CD player only has 5 discs? Wait, I am really lost here, please explain, I have no idea about this subject:)

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I would avoid the Neo at all costs. It is nothing like the other Prontos. I got one when it first came out and put nearly 40 hours into programming it. I never got it to do exactly what I wnated, when I wanted. The problem lies in the fact that it uses a different file than the other prontos so there is very few premaid templates and codes. The other thing is that you cannot save commands that have been learned so you have to reprogram the whole thing everytime you want to change a single setting.

I am not saying that the Sony is the answer for you, but I would not reccomend the Neo. Jason

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
the new software lets you saved learned codes. You can upload from the remote to the computer in other words.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

Glad to hear that was helpful. I'm not ready to buy right yet, but would love to hear your thoughts on it when you get it up and running. Enjoy it with your new receiver! Have a good weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks