What's new

Philips DVDR75 blonde joke (1 Viewer)

BobR

Agent
I just got a Philips DVDR75 recorder. I was trying out a few things and I happened to grab a Legally Blonde 2 DVD and put it in. The DVD started with a kind of MGM splash screen after which it is supposed to go to a trailer for Uptown Girls. At that point it just hangs solid and I have to wait for it to power off. The DVD plays fine in other machines. I emailed Philips about it but haven't heard back yet. If anyone out there could try that DVD on the same machine I would be interested to know what happens.

Thanks

BobR

Agent
Apparently this is not really a hot issue but I just thought I should mention that this was fixed by a firmware update.

Darell B.

Auditioning
OK, I'm a dummy. You said the problem was fixed by a firmware update. How do you "get" a firmware update? How did you find out about the update? How do you install a firmware update on a DVD recorder? Give me the details, because I am completely in the dark on how you can update a DVD recorder.

Thanks!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I go to Philips.com dowload the files they post to a cd-r, put it in the recorder, and watch it update (15 minutes or so), and when it's done, it pops the disc out.

Simple as that.

:)

BobR

Agent
Firmware updates are applied by putting a CD with the update software on it into the machine and crossing your fingers. The machine loads the disc and knows what to do with it. You get the file from the Philips web site. http://www.consumer.philips.com/?country=US&language=en
Click on the button at the top of the page that says Manuals/Downloads and you will go to a page where you put in the model number. That takes you to a list of available software and documentation. You will need the firmware file (a zip file) and the instructions (PDF file)to burn the update CD. The only problem I had with the whole process is that there are some very specific settings in the instructions for the CD burning program (ISO level 2, Mode 2/XA, things like that). The program I had didn't have any way to choose those settings and the CD didn't work. I downloaded a 30 day trial version of NERO and was able to set it correctly and the CD worked fine. If all this is too much and your player happens to be a DVDR 75-17 I could just mail you a copy of the CD.

Bob

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I just bought a Philips DVDR75/17 recorder from Tweeter for $199. Recording from DVD's works fine. But some of the VHS tapes that I'm trying to record have a brightness/contrast problem. When I view the tapes they look fine. But, when I'm recording, the Philips increases the brightness/contrast to the point where you are losing details. I have tried the Video input and the SVHS input and the problem is still there. I ordered the last firmware 6.3 from Philips today but, I'm not sure if that will fix the problem.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My 985 recorder has the same problem, the easiest way to fix the brightness is to unplug the video cable and plug it back in, or switch to another input then back to the one you're trying to use. The problem usually comes up if you try recording a tape from the very beginning where the signal comes on, you might have to double-check how the signal is coming through on the recorder before actually recording it to disc.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I tried using the standard RCA video first. Then, the SVHS input. Now your saying go back to the RCA video? Why would that make a difference?

I have tried recording from a blank dark screen and also from a section that has a picture. The DVDR75 still increases the brightness.

I'm thinking of recording from the composite cable to see if that makes a difference.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Im thinking about buying a Philips DVDR985A unit are they any good, have you solved the problems?

I will be using it for recording my 8mm and Hi8 tapes to DVD!

Wes

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I bought a Panasonic DMR-E55 for $250 at Amazon.com and returned the Philips.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

No way I'd invest in a 985..especially with all of it's troubled past.

Look into newer generation recorders.

Alfer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks