What's new

PHE Press Release: Popeye (1980) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I can only assume that the Paramount executives who were convinced that getting Robert Altman to direct Popeye was a good idea were the same ones who approached David Cronenberg to direct Flashdance.
Lest we forget that these would have been the executives who wanted Robert Redford and Paul Newman to play Kirk and Spock in Star Trek: The Motion Picture ... with Bob Newhart playing the Communications Officer (According to Gene Roddenberry) :huh:...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just arrived.
image.jpg

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I can only assume that the Paramount executives who were convinced that getting Robert Altman to direct Popeye was a good idea were the same ones who approached David Cronenberg to direct Flashdance.
You mean Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg? Don't forget that this was a co-production with Walt Disney Productions; the other one in the deal was Dragonslayer.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This was one of only two collaborations between the Disney Studios and Paramount. The other is DRAGONSLAYER, and I surely hope a great transfer of that is in preparation, ideally with a lot of bonus features such as commentary by the director and some of the effects people.

As for POPEYE, I kinda-sorta like it. The songs are pretty bland (although one, "He's Large" resonates), some of the stunts are good, the casting was clever, and the baby is cute. But I feel the movie goes on about 20 minutes too long.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I don't think I ever saw the entire film, but what I did see of it made me think they were trying to duplicate the quirky world of Popeye as seen in the original comic strips by E.C. Segar in the 1930's, as well as Jack Mercer's definitive characterization. All the Segar strips have been re-published and are heartily recommended to anyone with a passing interest in the character or anyone who just enjoys brilliant, creative comic work by the Charles Dickens of comic strips.

While Robin & Shelley were trying to capture the cartoon voices, screenwriter Jules Pfeiffer said he was trying to capture the whimsical comic strip--The subplot about Baby Swee'pea predicting races was originally written for Eugene the Jeep (who we only saw in a couple of the Fleischer toons), but CGI didn't exist yet.
Two other comic-strip characters that never showed up in the toons, but ended up in the movie, were swindling (ahemjewishstereotype) peddler Geezil, and Olive's earlier mild-mannered boyfriend Ham Gravy...Perfectly cast by Richard Libertini and Bill Irwin, respectively. :thumbsup:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Played by Wesley Ivan Hurt, Robert Altman’s grandson.

"'Please take care of my baby--'"
"Ba-ba!"
"Yeah, you're a 'baby', says right here!"

(Not sure if that was in the script, but my favorite synergy of Williams-meets-Mercer ad-libs.) :lol:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You mean Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg? Don't forget that this was a co-production with Walt Disney Productions; the other one in the deal was Dragonslayer.

I still remember a Robin Williams interview from this era where he talks about problems they had with the octopus used in one scene. The Paramount-financed octo didn't work, so they called in Disney and had one that could make you dinner and teach calculus in no time! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This was one of only two collaborations between the Disney Studios and Paramount. The other is DRAGONSLAYER, and I surely hope a great transfer of that is in preparation, ideally with a lot of bonus features such as commentary by the director and some of the effects people.

As for POPEYE, I kinda-sorta like it. The songs are pretty bland (although one, "He's Large" resonates), some of the stunts are good, the casting was clever, and the baby is cute. But I feel the movie goes on about 20 minutes too long.

Based on my circa 2003 review, I liked "Dragonslayer" a lot more than I liked "Popeye"!

Matthew Robbins is still active in films, so he could be available for a commentary. Whether he would do one - and whether Paramount would bother - is a different matter.

I forgot the "Dragonslayer" DVD came with literally zero extras. As did "Popeye".

Glad the "Popeye" BD includes a few bonus features, though the roster sounds skimpy...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Based on my circa 2003 review, I liked "Dragonslayer" a lot more than I liked "Popeye"!
Matthew Robbins is still active in films, so he could be available for a commentary. Whether he would do one - and whether Paramount would bother - is a different matter.
I forgot the "Dragonslayer" DVD came with literally zero extras. As did "Popeye".

I'm a little more hopeful for a Dragonslayer disk TODAY than I was in the 00's, since Dragonslayer, like Popeye, Clue and the Harrison Ford Jack-Ryans, seem to be on the list of Paramount "orphans" that are a little too accessible to streaming and third-party disk.
I don't want to say "Public domain", as that may not be accurate about the OOC MGM, Columbia and Paramount titles that have been springing up on streaming, but most of Paramount's "select" titles that they're going back to on physical disk seem to be the same ones showing on their online Paramount Channel. (Now running on PlutoTV, among others.)

Not sure if these are the same 70's-80's catalog of titles Paramount sold to Warner to release, just before WHE got out of the catalog physical-disk business (I remember we got a Warner-labeled "Clue", at one point?), and now have been "abandoned", but Dragonslayer has to be the next one dug out of the dumpster, and the HD streaming prints already look pretty good.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Day one purchase for me! This is a big deal in our household! Wesley Ivan Hurt (Swee’pea) is my wife’s second cousin. Wesley’s mom is the daughter of my wife’s aunt. That aunt was married to Robert Altman so Wesley is Altman’s grandson. We keep a studio publicity photo on the shelf in our theater room.

i-fQ75C8n-X2.jpg

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The new Blu-ray includes access to a Digital copy of the film, along with nearly 30 minutes of all-new bonus content featuring excerpts from one of Robin Williams’ final interviews, an interview with director Robert Altman from 2014, as well as a newly conducted interview with Stephen Altman. The full list of bonus features is below:

• · Return to Sweethaven: A Look Back with Robin and the Altmans
  • · The Popeye Company Players
  • · Popeye’s Premiere
  • · The Sailor Man Medleys
  • · Theatrical Trailer

Is this a misprint? Robert Altman died in 2006.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Amazon’s price is now $10.69. A terrific deal considering it includes the digital copy too.

Pre-Order placed (using Ron’s link).

Mark

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The better comic strip movie from Paramount is Li’l Abner so Paramount if you’re listening.
I saw Popeye opening night in Times Square at a midnight showing in a theater full of weed smokers- many in the audience fell asleep including one of the three I saw it with. The jokes fell flat and you couldn’t understand what anyone was saying not to mention follow any sort of plot. Only Shelly Duvall was fun to watch but then she always is. Tried to watch it a while back On cable and quickly shut it off. But a blu ray will do wonders for it as you can quickly skip scenes.i May order depending on the video rating but if On A Clear Day is any indication what Paramount puts out I doubt it. Got burned on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks