What's new

PHE Press Release: Popeye (1980) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Apparently there are some TV prints that omit the song, but that's no reason to believe the song will be omitted on this release.
Sure. But has any past home video version omitted it? No. So why would this be any different?:unsure:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I saw it a few times when it came out. It's weird, and maybe even not so good, yet it has a strange fascination.

What bothered me about it is the pieces don't fit together; there are various shots culled from different takes with different lighting and timings patched together.

At a first viewing it seemed sloppy and somewhat incompetent, even to the point of having inserts of Williams and Duvall and Paul Dooley where they seem inelegant and going against the grain of the scene, as if Altman decided to place outtakes and bloopers into the main scenes.

Things don't match, either visually or continuity-wise. But on repeated viewings, you grow to accept this, though it's different from any other Altman film I've ever seen, even the really far out ones, like "Quintet".

Interesting parallel to Mork & Mindy. As I recall, part 1 of the two-part second-season premiere was filmed before Robin Williams left to film "Popeye." When he was available to film part 2, the hairstyling department could not match the way his hair looked like in part 1. They did their best and filmed part 2. To make matters worse, ABC showed both parts in an hour broadcast. Supposedly, when the show returned after the mid-episode break his hair looked different with no explanation.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I kinda liked it in 1980 when I was 13. When I watched the DVD back in... whenever that came out, I pretty much hated it. Altman was 100% the wrong person for this movie.

Maybe I'll change my mind on 3rd viewing!

Update: nope. This is a terrible movie.

But the Blu-ray looks and sounds great! A few small specks become the only complaint I have, as most of the flick offers terrific visuals...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Apple has put the iTunes version on sale for $4.99. The artwork and iTunes Extras appear to be identical to the forthcoming Blu-ray, so I am pretty sure it's the same transfer.

Since Paramount doesn't participate in Movies Anywhere, I went ahead and purchased the iTunes digital copy. When my Blu-ray arrives next week, I'll redeem the included digital copy code at Vudu.

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am thinking about canceling the $10 BD and buying the $5 digital copy.

I am not a fan of this movie at all. I was pretty much buying it to add to the collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am thinking about canceling the $10 BD and buying the $5 digital copy.

I am not a fan of this movie at all. I was pretty much buying it to add to the collection.
I watched this movie during its theatrical run and I wasn't impressed at that time. I'll probably buy the $4.99 digital, but I'm still thinking about it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched this movie during its theatrical run and I wasn't impressed at that time. I'll probably buy the $4.99 digital, but I'm still thinking about it.

Just canceled the Blu-ray. I'll think about the $4.99 purchase as well

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks