What's new

Blu-ray Review Phantom of the Opera (1925) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Based on the novel by Gaston Leroux, Phantom of the Opera is, perhaps, Lon Chaney’s most famous role. The film, originally released in 1925, was subsequently re-released in a “talkie” version in 1929/1930 with newly shot scenes (without the participation of Chaney). Image Entertainment’s new Blu-ray contains two versions of the 1929 re-issue in high definition from a restored print courtesy of the Eastman House, but as silent films with music, and a standard definition of the 1925 original release from an archived 16mm print.

Phantom of the Opera (1925)

Studio: Image Entertainment
US BD Release Date: November 1, 2011
Original Release Year: 1925/1929
Rated: Not Rated
Running Time: 78 minutes, 92 minutes, 114 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 1.2:1 pillar-boxed (1929 versions), 1.33:1 (1925 version)
Audio:  PCM 2.0 Stereo, PCM 2.0 Mono
Subtitles: None

Movie: 4 out of 5
I am not sure what novel holds the record for most often told in movies, but Gaston Leroux’s The Phantom of the Opera must be near the top of that list. The most famous of those films is the first, released in 1925 and starring the man of a thousand faces, Lon Chaney. This would be one of two signature roles for the actor (the other being 1923’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame), and his most famous one. Most are familiar with the story, a tragic version of Beauty and the Beast set in a Paris Opera House, with horror overtones. Audiences found the movie quite frightening in its day, with reports of fainting spells during the now infamous unmasking scene.

Proving that nothing much changes in Hollywood, Universal (like many other studios), in a frantic pace to get “talkies” into theaters after the surprising success of The Jazz Singer, had new scenes photographed (without Lon Chaney) and commissioned a synchronized soundtrack with dialogue, music, and sound effects, re-releasing the “new” version in theaters in 1929. Unfortunately, it is this version that remains the most intact and preserved, and not the original 1925 release. As film historian Jon Mirsalis notes in his audio commentary, Universal had one of the worst track records for preserving its catalog of silent films during the early days of cinema.

Image, courtesy of Blackhawk Films and the Eastman House, has provided three different versions of the film on this Blu-ray disc. The first version is a high definition 24fps transfer of the 1929 re-issue with your choice of a new score by the Alloy Orchestra or Gaylord Carter’s Famous Theater Organ score from 1974, both in PCM Stereo. Although the transferred frame rate is incorrect (most silent movies ran between 12 and 26 fps, as there was no standard until “talkies”), this is how most modern audiences likely remember viewing the film, since the score was synched with the picture on the film itself, with most projectors running at 24 fps.

The second version is a high definition 20fps transfer of the same 1929 re-issue, with an orchestral score by Gabriel Thibaudeau and featuring an operatic solo by Claudine Cote. The scenes from the 1925 original flow more naturally, as they are being seen at a frame rate closer to what was originally intended. The additional scenes added in 1929, obviously, appear somewhat slowed down, as they were meant to be projected at 24 fps.

Finally, as an added bonus, Image has included a standard definition transfer of the 1925 original struck from a 16mm collector’s print with a piano score by Frederick Hodges. The print used not only has seen better days, but so has the source it was originally taken from.

Video: 3.5 out of 5
As noted, Universal did not take the greatest care of its silent classics, and Phantom is no exception. Image has provided the 24fps 1929 version in 1080p/24 and the 20fps version in 1080i/30 using the AVC codec , preserving the film’s intended aspect ratio of 1.2:1. Both versions appear to be sourced from the same film print (I could be wrong), and this is likely the best we are ever going to see The Phantom of the Opera. Film grain is intact, the tinting is well-saturated and never bleeds, black levels are quite good, and the Technicolor sequence is as breathtaking as ever. Compression artifacts are virtually non-existent, although the 20fps version did exhibit some minor interlacing issues.

The 1925 original version is presented in standard definition 480i using the MPEG-2 codec. Contrast varies, as does detail, mostly due to the poor print quality.

Audio: 3 out of 5
Although the artwork on the back cover carries the DTS-HD Master Audio logo, all of the audio tracks are actually PCM. The scores on the 1929 24fps versions are presented in PCM 2.0 stereo, and have excellent fidelity and dynamic range. Bass response is also very good on both scores. The Thibaudeau score on the 20fps 1929 version is in PCM 2.0 mono. Fidelity is decent, but sounds somewhat compressed.

Special Features: 3.5 out of 5
My major complaint with this disc is the menu navigation. Not all bonus materials are accessible from the Bonus Features menu, and it would have been more logical to indicate the version not by the accompanying main score but by the version of the film (1929 24fps Version instead of Alloy Orchestra Score). Perhaps I’m nitpicking, though.

Audio Commentary by Jon Mirsalis: Film historian and Lon Chaney expert Mirsalis provides a very educational and interesting commentary on the film, Lon Chaney, and silent films as a whole. The track is accessible from the Gabriel Thibaudeau Score sub-menu.

Theatrical Trailer (SD, 3:16): The theatrical trailer appears to be from a worn 16mm print that is a few too many generations from the original.

Gabriel Thibaudeau Interview (SD, 10:25): Taken from an episode of Art Express produced by Mountain Lake PBS in April 2004, host Paul Larson talks with the composer about his score that appears on the 1929 20fps version.

Photo Gallery (HD, 13:30): Production still, posters, and lobby cards are presented in various quality.

Script (HD, 8:41): Each page is presented on-screen for approximately 5 seconds, so be sure to have the pause button handy if you are not a speed reader.

Souvenir Program (HD, 1:34): Again, each page is presented on-screen for approximately 5 seconds, so be sure to have the pause button handy if you are not a speed reader.

Overall: 3.5 out of 5
Fans of silent film and Phantom lore will likely be pleased with this release, welcoming this silent classic finally getting a high definition release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is this out of print?

i want to make some joke about Phantom of the OOPera, but can't figure out how to make it work.

Anyway, I brought a copy used at a local store last night and decided to check the price on amazon to see what the going rate might be for a new copy and found that Amazon didn't have any and the best price in the Amazon Marketplace was $45.88! :blink:

I got my used copy for about $20.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Barnes and Noble has it, but it ships in 1-3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks