What's new

Petition: "Differences between Canadian and U.S. DVD releases (packaging/content)" (1 Viewer)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Are you absolutely certain that the inclusion of a French language track has hindered the video quality of any DVDs? Any examples to support that claim? You do know that many DVDs that have the French track in Canada have a Spanish track in place of the French in the US?

Also, I'm not sure what can be done about "inferior" versions. A lot of that stems from who has the movie rights in Canada.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Also, I'm not sure what can be done about "inferior" versions. A lot of that stems from who has the movie rights in Canada.
You're absolutely right... however, is it too much to ask for both versions to be available in Canada? After all, Canada is included in "Region 1" - which means we are allowed to purchase and watch discs manufactured in the U.S.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
is it too much to ask for both versions to be available in Canada?
Yes, it is actually, especially if the Canadian rights are exclusive to a different company. The US versions could be made available as imports, but not all stores will carry them.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Yes, it is actually, especially if the Canadian rights are exclusive to a different company.
Ok, I see what you mean, and this is what usually applies to Seville, Alliance Atlantis, Lions Gate, etc. releases.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when a DVD (such as "Zoolander", "Pearl Harbor", "The One", etc) is packaged or authored differently in Canada than in the U.S., then both versions should be made available in Canada.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I fail to see the point of this petition given the fact that any Canadian can simply order the U.S. version via the internet if a french language track and french cover art both you so much. I mean sure Canada has gotten some poor relaeses, like The Red Violin, but we have also had some superior releases like Goodwill Hunting and Pulp Fiction.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
I fail to see the point of this petition given the fact that any Canadian can simply order the U.S. version via the internet if a french language track and french cover art both you so much.
The point of this petition is quite simple. Why should Canadians have to pay extra to import a title from the US, when the Canadian home entertainment divisions could just as well create double sided artwork with all English on one side, and all French on the other. A removable sticker could be put on the keepcase to indicate that the release has French artwork and audio.

It's not like it would be any bit more difficult for them to pursue that procedure, as opposed to what they are doing now (printing double sided covers with some English and some French on each side, which I frankly, do not see the point of).

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I fail to see the point of this petition given the fact that any Canadian can simply order the U.S. version via the internet
Of course anyone can order the U.S. version online, but is this fair to Canadian consumers and retailers?

The cost of importing a disc from the U.S. is much higher than buying the Canadian version locally. Take "Mulholland Dr." for example... Future Shop is selling the Canadian-exclusive version for $25.99 CAD, but if I import the US version for $27.82 USD (including shipping), I'll be paying almost double. Of course, I'm just using this particular title as an example. I haven't yet heard any news confirming whether the additional French track has affected the video quality, but I'll still be importing it.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I haven't yet heard any news confirming whether the additional French track has affected the video quality
A 192kbps (2.0) French track should be no problem, but a 448kbps (5.1) on a Single Layer disk is unexcusable (Memento, if Columbia releases a Superbits I'm repurchasing just for that!). This makes me ashamed of being Quebecian!

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
True. But, I've heard that the upcoming "Mulholland Dr." DVD will also include a French track (whereas the U.S. version will include only an English track).
Yes, heard. Do you know it be be a fact?

In order for you to have a petition that sounds valid, your statements have got to be true. I don't see that being the case.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
From Howard (Marketing Rep @ TVA)

As far as the DVD goes, for this one I worked with Universal in the U.S. Our Canadian version will be the same as theirs except that we have added a 5.1 french audio track to ours. All the rest is the same.

Will it effect the video transfer. It's possible. I can't confirm anything as of yet. My Canadian review copy should be here later in the week. I'll be sure to post my findings almost immediately after receiving the disc.

Hope this clears up the confusion surrounding the Canadian (TVA) Mulholland Drive disc for the time being.

If there are any more questions regarding this, I'll try my best to answer them.

Mark

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Would you mind including a note in your review stating whether or not the artwork for this title is bilingual or properly reversible?

I've read somewhere that it is being distributed by Columbia-Tristar in Canada, so perhaps we'll be lucky on this one.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Phew. This title (Mulholland Drive) would be one heck of an expensive title to have to import from the US, already being a lot cheaper in Canada than in the US.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
well then if it is legal just get them over in the us and also there are a few people who speak french in canada

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator
Signed # 18 !!!!!!!
Thanks Michael for the petition.
I have been wondering what some studios might think of next? Perhaps dual screens split down the middle with english sound from the left channels and french on the right channels, or how about forcing us to watch english language movies with burnt-in french subtitles (we would save a lot of valuable bit space with that idea).:angry:

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering from those in Canada, does warner brothers do this to their covers, I want to order Harry Potter, but I might get the American version if they ruin the cover like that, also does anyone know what the cover art will be, which poster did you guys get, the american poster, or the international poster(the blue one), if you guys could let me know, It's a little of topic, and I will sign the potition too.

Derek Duncan

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm not signing. With separate releases, we can pick and choose which one is better. Do you really want to be stuck with P&S, extraless discs, which is what you're going to get from companies like Artisan, when right now you can get superior WS, SEs in Canada (think Ginger Snaps)?

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Try seeing this issue from the point of view of the Canadian consumer. Would you like it if perhaps half of your collection (assuming more studios adopt this practice) had bilingual covers, with both English and French on both the spine, the back, and the front?

Also, I think you're misunderstanding the whole thing. There will always be separate releases for US and Canada. The question is if the studios in Canada will handle their releases properly. How anyone can be opposed to releasing DVDs properly is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks