Petition: "Differences between Canadian and U.S. DVD releases (packaging/content)"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelPe, Mar 30, 2002.

1. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

After all of the complaints I've read on the forum about Canadian DVD releases with bilingual covers or inferior content, I decided to start a petition.
    Please click the link below:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/DVDBICA/petition.html
    Please sign it, and pass the link around to as many people as possible.
    Thank you,
    Michael Perez

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Are you absolutely certain that the inclusion of a French language track has hindered the video quality of any DVDs? Any examples to support that claim? You do know that many DVDs that have the French track in Canada have a Spanish track in place of the French in the US?

Also, I'm not sure what can be done about "inferior" versions. A lot of that stems from who has the movie rights in Canada.

3. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

5. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

6. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I fail to see the point of this petition given the fact that any Canadian can simply order the U.S. version via the internet if a french language track and french cover art both you so much. I mean sure Canada has gotten some poor relaeses, like The Red Violin, but we have also had some superior releases like Goodwill Hunting and Pulp Fiction.

7. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

8. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

9. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

10. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

11. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

12. Kenneth Vestergaard

Mark,

Would you mind including a note in your review stating whether or not the artwork for this title is bilingual or properly reversible?

I've read somewhere that it is being distributed by Columbia-Tristar in Canada, so perhaps we'll be lucky on this one.

13. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Actually, Mark provided a scan of the artwork here. Although I don't see any mention of it being reversible, the cover shown appears to be entirely in English.

14. Kenneth Vestergaard

Phew. This title (Mulholland Drive) would be one heck of an expensive title to have to import from the US, already being a lot cheaper in Canada than in the US.

15. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

well then if it is legal just get them over in the us and also there are a few people who speak french in canada

16. Denny_S

Denny_S Stunt Coordinator

Signed # 18 !!!!!!!
    Thanks Michael for the petition.
    I have been wondering what some studios might think of next? Perhaps dual screens split down the middle with english sound from the left channels and french on the right channels, or how about forcing us to watch english language movies with burnt-in french subtitles (we would save a lot of valuable bit space with that idea).[​IMG]

17. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering from those in Canada, does warner brothers do this to their covers, I want to order Harry Potter, but I might get the American version if they ruin the cover like that, also does anyone know what the cover art will be, which poster did you guys get, the american poster, or the international poster(the blue one), if you guys could let me know, It's a little of topic, and I will sign the potition too.

Derek Duncan

18. Kenneth Vestergaard

Derek,

For now, Warner titles should be in the safe-to-buy zone.

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm not signing. With separate releases, we can pick and choose which one is better. Do you really want to be stuck with P&S, extraless discs, which is what you're going to get from companies like Artisan, when right now you can get superior WS, SEs in Canada (think Ginger Snaps)?

20. Kenneth Vestergaard

Mark,

Try seeing this issue from the point of view of the Canadian consumer. Would you like it if perhaps half of your collection (assuming more studios adopt this practice) had bilingual covers, with both English and French on both the spine, the back, and the front?

Also, I think you're misunderstanding the whole thing. There will always be separate releases for US and Canada. The question is if the studios in Canada will handle their releases properly. How anyone can be opposed to releasing DVDs properly is beyond me.