What's new

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live hits DVD (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
This was one I literally didn't think we'd see on DVD for a long time, if ever. According to The Digital Bits, Universal Music is releasing this concert on 2/11. The laserdisc sounds fantastic and I can only hope that the DVD (featuring a new 5.1 mix in both DD and DTS) will sound as good if not even better.

Now if we'll only see Laurie Anderson's HOME OF THE BRAVE released on DVD. That would be absolutely wonderful. I could finally put my import laserdisc to rest.

-greg

Clint B

Second Unit
I'll believe it when I see it, but if it's true, this is fantastic news! I just hope the part about it being compatible with all regions is accurate, because I heard a rumour about a year ago that this was going to be released in region 2 only (I've only got a region 1 compatible player).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have the laser as well - a great souvenir of one of the best concerts I've ever experienced. It'll be nice to have on DVD.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Really want this on DVD. I play the H E double hockey sticks out of the CDs. Would love the concert, especially with DTS!

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic news. This was one the best concerts I've ever been to and have been waiting for a DVD for years. Now, can we have his video collection too?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,

I also wouldn't expect to see this disc. Simply that in general catalog music video rarely gets released. This is a very old release, from 1993 I believe. This is one rare LaserDisc that I will replace. Simply one of the best live concert videos I've ever seen. I hope they put "Red Rain", which appears on the CD but not the LD (don't know about the VHS), on the DVD.

Now lets see PoV.

As well as catalog music video from Sting, U2, McCartney, and others.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The vid was released in 1994.

I'm not surprised to see this released. There will be catalog titles for some of the bigger artists. I expect this to sell better than catalog titles that have already been released for 'Yes', for example. We've seen catalog titles from Van Halen, Roy Orbison, AC/DC, ELO, REM, Ray Davies, Rick Wakeman, and tons of others. There will be many more catalog titles to come, and I don't just mean Pink Floyd.

I'd also really like to see PoV released. It was even produced by Martin Scorsese, for gosh sakes.

It's the more obscure artists like 'The The', 'Siouxsie and the Banshees', and so on that won't likely have any catalog titles released on DVD. And there are a LOT of great back-catalog titles from such artists.

And yes, I have the 'Secret World Live' LD. And yes, I'll buy this new release in a second. The picture quality could be improved substantially on DVD. Does anybody know if this was shot on film or video?

Hopefully the stereo track is high-bitrate or PCM, and the laserdisc becomes fully obsolete.

Clint B

Second Unit
Don't mean to spoil the party, but do any of you other PG fans have as much skepticism about this as I do? I know the Bits is usually reliable about this stuff, but I've not seen this posted anywhere else on the Net, including Peter Gabriel's own website. If it's going to be released on 2/11, you'd think that there would at least be an official word on his website and that some online stores would be taking pre-orders by now. Anyway, I hope this comes to pass. If it does, it's mine on release day.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I know for a fact this is coming out
Too bad this was before the days of anamorphic widescreen

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Sarah McLachlan on her Mirrorball dvd (done in '98 or '99 I believe) has a quote where she implores Peter Gabriel to get his stuff on dvd.

About time he honored her request.

Finally.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Too bad this was before the days of anamorphic widescreen
Why bother decrying that? Is a 4:3 frame that bad?? This is one of the best video concerts ever released, the cinematography, recording, performance, everything is amazing and you're sweating the shape of the frame?:rolleyes

Bill Hunt

Insider
Universal's press site. The dates could change slightly, but it's definitely coming. We posted the art for heaven's sake!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks