What's new

People that leave you hangin... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't know about the rest of you, but doesn't it irritate you when someone starts a thread, you respond with a well written and well thought out post, and then they never follow up on their thread, and you ended up wasting your time?
I mean these people obviosly wanted to know something, or to get advice from other members, then why start a thread if they'll never follow up on it?
I don't know, maybe i'm just tired and cranky right now.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Kevin T

Screenwriter
personally, i choose to thank all those who respond to my post in the inital post. otherwise, you have to thank every single person who responds to your question and that's not very efficient. i understand what you're talking about, but i don't feel slighted when others don't thank me for my advice. i choose to say "thanks for any info" or something to that effect out of respect for other's opinions and so they know not to expect much in the way of a conversation.
kevin t

CRyan

Screenwriter
Actually, I think he was referring to those threads that require a lengthy reply - say in the hardware or DBS forums. You write a few paragraphs and they never repost. Not really wanting a thank you, but just an acknowledgement that your reply was read.
I think a lot of those kinds of threads are started by people who do not frequent the forum. They probably forget they even submitted the question and it turns out to be a complete waste of time.
Oh well. I always hope that the thread helped someone else who had the same question. That is one reason I like the thread-view counts.
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp
[Edited last by CRyan on September 27, 2001 at 02:11 AM]

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Like Kevin, I always assume they did read the post.
It's the same as when you send people photographs or something, and they don't respond. You keep wondering if it reached the addressee allright, or disappeared in the post...
Cees

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Exactly, i'm not looking for thanks necissarily, it's nice when you get that, but just for the author of the thread to JUST COME BACK! They don't even have to acknowledge me, but follow up on their thread that's all.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
People who start threads in hopes of gaining information probably should drop in again to say thanks, if they mean it. When I start threads like that, I try to thank everyone, because I honestly mean it. It's very nice of the members here to take their time and help out. They certainly don't have to do that.
Maybe sometimes people forget about the threads they started. It sounds silly, but it happens. I started a thread in the hardware section, looking for information, and I forgot about it until a week later. I had to do a search to find it.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I do that to Eric Scott all the time, always leave him hangin', pisses him off to no end, he asked me how I prepare German dessert in a recent post, I snubbed him completely (but I gave him the recipe later in a private message, he was pleased with my graphic account), yeah its terrible when people leave you hangin'.....
wink.gif

POSTED BY STEVE 'LEAVE EM HANGIN' CHRISTOU.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i try to always thank the people who reply to my posts.
what always goofs me up is when i reply to something, but forget to track the topic, then someone else posts a question that was meant for me. i hate that because i'm afraid they'll think i'm dissin' them...
i can't wait for the new version where you can automatically check 'track topic' when you reply. at least i hear that's going to be a new feature.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eric
laugh.gif
I'm tempted to leave you hangin' (again), but I just had to reply, I didn't know you took my recipe so literally, and you forgot about the salad and mayo bit...
I was going to send you the recipe for my special creme souffle, but now I'm not so sure.....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks