What's new

People often wonder what nationality my last name is. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
My last name is Asquith, and people wonder what country it's from. I tell them England, and alot of them don't believe me, or are very surprised. It's crazy. I've actually got people thinking it's German, Spanish, and French.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sounds thoroughly English to me. Reminds me of that most excellent of English actors, Robin Askwith...
:)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Heh, it doesn't seem an ounce of German. :) My father is 100% German. :) His father fought for the Germans in WW2 and his mother is PA Dutch (Deutsch).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Certainly doesn't sound French either...

People wonder what nationality ALL my names are. When I tell them, they proceed to wonder where the hell that is.

--
Holadem

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I get the same thing. People seem to think my name is French(because it kind of looks like Travail which is French for work) when it is actually Italian.

Kolya

Stunt Coordinator
About half and half for my name. My surname (Rice) proves more difficult.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial:
I never wonder, but I always think of Nikki Dial when I see your name. It's a pleasant thought. :)
/Mike

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
How come people never believe me when I tell them my name is Rain? :frowning:
Oh well, I've got ID.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Dennis, I'm not sure exactly where he fits into my ancestry, but my grandmother says he's in there somewhere.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
You wouldn't happen to have any relatives in the Philadelphia area, would you? A woman in my company who I have occasional contact with lives there and shares your last name.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I only know about my immediate relatives around here, because my grandfather and his family immigrated to the US in 1918 to my area. I have no idea if I have any relatives in Philidelphia area.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
StephenA wrote:
Actually, the name "Asquith" (var. spelling "Askwith") is of Scandinavian origin. It's a placename from Yorkshire in England: ask 'ashtree' and -"with" < Old Norse vithr 'wood(land)', somewhat parallel to "Beckwith" < Old English be:cc 'beechtree' + the same Anglicized second compound member. Both names are prevalent in Yorkshire, and York was the capital of the Danelaw, the region of England conquered and settled by the Danish Vikings in the 10th century (I believe).
If the name were "native English", among other things, the first compound member would have been ash, rather than ask, as, for example, in "Ashley".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks