Pelikan AV Switcher

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Yee, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I just bought the Pelikan AV selector that costs around 20.00. I'm using it as a component switcher, figuring that it would work as well as the similar (and slightly more expensive) ones many have purchased from Radio Shack. I have noticed no problems with the quality but wanted to get others' input. Thanks!

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Do you run a DVD player through it as well?
    -Andre F

3. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

One important note about the Pelican switcher:

When I tried to attach the Gamecube's s-video jack into the switcher, I realized that the input hole is too small (diameter-wise) for the jack to plug in all the way. Pelican's product is nice, and I'm not trying to slam it, but enlarging the area around the s-video input instead of blocking it with those PS2-esque black slats might have been a wise design decision.

Joseph

4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yes, I run a DVD player through it. I have a 32" 4:3 non-HD set, so if there is any signal degradation its probably unnoticeable. Truthfully I'm not sure what I would see - would it mostly be color issues or would it also affect aliasing? I mention aliasing because I noticed some watching last night, but I figured aliasing is a result of the DVD compression quality.

Can't comment on the s-video jacks as I'm not using them.

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I love the little nameplates for the different inputs. I also did A/B comparisons using component through the switcher and then straight to the TV. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever on my 4:3 ntsc wega. Looks good too!
    [​IMG]

7. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

i must confess i'm not looking to hard, but does anyone have a link where i can buy this online?

8. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I bought mine at a local Wal-Mart. I have seen them at the local Best Buy as well. I looked at BB online as well as EBWorld but no luck.

9. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Got mine at Best buy for $17.99. Works great for my S-Video changing. If there is degradation, it must be minimal because I'd be hard pressed to tell.