What's new

Peggy Sue Got Married (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
My copy just arrived. I look forward to revisiting it this weekend and comparing the transfer to my ancient flipper disc DVD.

dshultz

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Pretty much echo the rest of what I've read with respect to the technical stuff - picture and sound quality - quite well done. The over-saturated colors and ambience of the late 50's are perfectly represented on this transfer.

Indeed, the good news is that even though Coppola's heart wasn't in it ("I hated the film") - his creative team - the production designer, set dressers, lighting, hair and wardrobe etc. sure brought their "A" game!

And that (under-utilized) John Barry score! Add this to "Somewhere In Time" as two films that were absolutely enhanced and perhaps even legitimized solely by the presence of the master's work!!

And that's it - nary an extra in sight on the blu-ray - unless you count the ability to bookmark a scene (wooooooo).

A few things I did get from this re-watching - with respect to the film itself:
o Turner is absolutely brilliant. Watch her as she reacts to Cage in the scene where they go into the listening booth together. An absolutely inspiring performance by a magnificent actress / movie star.

o Cage - despite his best efforts to the contrary - does manage to capture the depth of his character, even if his purposefully-absurdly fake voice and teeth are as ridiculous as they are insulting to the work. A common tale indeed: so much budding talent in such a messed up head.

o Sofia Coppola at an early age proves she was possessed of very little actual talent for acting. Good thing for her that her daddy's in the business!

o we don't spend enough time back in high school - the interactions seem rushed or worse left unattended. The Richard Norvik relationship, the wham-bang-thank-you-ma'am thing with Michael Fitzimmons, and even her arc with Charlie seemed to leave a lot on the table. With a running time of 103 minutes, I reckon the film would have benefitted from the extra character development. With the rehearsal draft of Jerry Leichtling and Arelene Sarner's script coming in at around 120 pages - at a minute per, they may actually be on the page. Guess it's time for another read through!

So while it's great to revisit this heart-warming 1986 effort, there's very little reason to actually purchase (as I did!) the Blu-ray, completely bereft of anything other than the film itself.

Better, I think to leave it rest at the local library - or Netflix - where it can easily be retrieved if and when the urge strikes...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Reviving this decade old thread, wow, 10 years.

i had been repeatedly listening to the John Barry Deluxe Edition score for Peggy Sue Got Married this past week. it’s a score I enjoy re-visiting often, perhaps it was my mood this past week! So I had to re-visit the movie last night. I had forgotten this was such a simple blu ray release. And it had been a long time since I last watched the movie. This is still a very good movie! I had focused my attention on Turner’s performance because I remembered the Siskel and Ebert review where they talked about how she was so able to play an adult woman reliving her teenage situations. Knowing what she knows and throwing away such great lines to the others around her. i wasn’t bothered by Nicolas Cage’s performance. As odd as it is, I do wonder what Peggy saw in Charlie. But because Peggy is an adult interacting with a teenage Charlie, the contrast works very well and perhaps that was what Coppola liked about letting Cage do what he did. I really enjoyed this re-view.

On this viewing, it was my first time viewing it on a larger OLED screen so I was able to enjoy the cinematography. The lighting and set-ups for several shots are just terrific. In particular are the scene in Peggy’s basement when Charlie comes over in the night to try or win Peggy back. The morning shot of Peggy with Charlie at this house and the night scene on the hilltop between Peggy and Michael. It was also really nice to see the vintage cars in the exterior shots at Petaluma and Santa Rosa. Really great visuals!

And being so familiar with the film score now, it was interesting to hear how it was mixed into the soundtrack. Sometimes the score was more in front than I expected. Not that it was a bad thing.

I can’t imagine Debra Winger in the role of Peggy now, it was fortuitous it worked out this way. About that Siskel and Ebert review, I had forgotten they said how eagerly awaited this film had been. I didn’t know it had that buzz. They were comparing it to Back to the Future, except they approached the lead character’s reactions to seeing their younger parents much differently.

So it seems odd that this film is not as well remembered and seems less regarded as perhaps lessor Coppola work. So I imagine there is no interest in revisiting a remastered 4K disc? I haven’t tried to find a streaming version yet. At any rate, if there is no new home video release, the current blu ray is very good. And the audio is great too, I had recently redialed in the sound levels on my 5.1 system and the high school reunion sequence sounded great.

By the way, back when this disc came out, I paid $10.49 from Amazon. I see it’s on Amazon from $49 to over $100.00. eBay has similar asking prices. I was curious what the disc’s availability was like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks