What's new

Pearl Harbor--Best packaging ever? (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Check out http://www.movierecords.com/news/20010831_153.php for detailed images showing the interior/exterior packaging of the Pearl Harbor Commemerative Gift Set and the Director's Cut. The packaging, which is designed to look like a worn leather logbook, is pretty impressive. The Director's Cut set also includes 4 post cards featuring the WWII-style American propaganda poster art, which depicts the lead actors in a heroic light. When studios go all out on a release and provide a unique, themed package, it really makes a difference. Let's just hope it's durable.
------------------
"Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts." - Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Indeed, I just raised this in an existing thread. Where do the discs go though? I'm guessing the central white section folds out or something... Anything is durable providing one takes care of it, but if a lot of folding is involved, things begin to crease, creases become tears then it quickly becomes a ealy big "argh" situation. It is very nice looking regardless...
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 31, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

If you notice the inside art of the Director's cut, there's a brown pocket on the right side. At first I thought that's where they will stick it but now that I look at it, I think the middle area with the Pearl Harbor words is where the discs will be.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Huh. Call me boring if you will but I wish all these studios would just stick with the keepcase.
I hate having all these different sized tins and boxes and Deluxe-Super-Dooper-Mondo-Bigtime-Spectacular-Limited-Buy-It-Now-Before-Its-Too-Late-Editions cluttering my shelves. One word comes to mind: Gimmick.
I've never been much of a collector type so all this special packaging seems a waste of cardboard to me. The keepcase is no-frills, sure, but more importantly it's durable -- something that none of these boxes and snappers and whatnot can claim.
Oh well. To each his own...

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've found that my Repo Man tin can repel bullets - as long as they're fired from a blue and white pistol labeled 'Gun'.
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Alex Spindler on August 31, 2001 at 04:27 PM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I find it hard to believe that the pine wood box of The Wicker Man Limited Edition will ever be beaten for many, many years to come.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Well, thanks for the link. It seems the first tentative look of the director's cut edition has been changed, to the better I would say ( personal opinion ).
Still a bit weird, that "old, used" look though. There are some nice posters of the film ( aside from the classic one) that could have been used. It still looks so "tomby" or funeral (tragic event of course but still..... ).
bah, what matters is the director's cut: this will be very interesting and could give the film a new career.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm drooling just looking at those photos!!! This is, by far, the best packaging I've ever seen for a DVD.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that the packaging does look incredible.
Unfortunately, a shiny turd is still turd - no matter how much you try and polish it.

Dan Wetzel

Grip
Very Impressive!!
It looks like some kind of keepcase will fit inside the center (white) part of the packaging.
Glad someone is pushing the envelope yet again.
------------------
DVD Collection

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Ahhh. Now thats much, MUCH better. Im used to the old photo of the Directors Cut. You know, the one that looks the same as the 60th but with the tiny graphic in the middle.
EEEwwwwwww.
THIS looks sooo much nicer. Cant wait to get it.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
If you notice the inside art of the Director's cut, there's a brown pocket on the right side. At first I thought that's where they will stick it but now that I look at it, I think the middle area with the Pearl Harbor words is where the discs will be.
Yes I'd agree, the pocket to the right would seem to be for the postcards.
Dan (UK)

YANG

Screenwriter
Among the two packaging shown,of course the director's cut VISTA set is the best of all.I prefer the 60th anniversary gift set,which a map showing the attack is included.I'm curious,isn't the 60th anniversary gift set supposed to be a regular release two disc set?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yang,
That pic would seem to dictate that the boxed commemoraive edition itself is 3 discs, with disc 1 being the theatrical cut of the movie, disc 2 being some extras, and the third disc being the National Geographic Documentary (which is sadly not included with the Directors Cut release).
Dan (UK)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow...that really is a nice looking package......now all they need is an actual good movie to go with it!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks