What's new

PE250 plate amp and shiva (Bass Boost) (1 Viewer)

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
I have the shiva ordered for my first DIY sub,I also recieved the 250 watt plate amp from parts express today.

My question is regarding the "Bass Boost" I've read posts that it is not needed with the shiva.

The instructions to change it have me lost.

Should I leave it as is or attempt to change it?

Thanks, Lee

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The boost should be defeated, but if the instructions for doing this "have you lost", then you might wind up with a non-functioning amp or even hurt yourself should you try it.

It may be that that the boost is already defeated, is the default setting listed in the instructions you got?

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
It's a simple task if you have basic soldering skills. If you don't have any experience, you can learn how it's done by looking at this basic soldering guide . Practice first on a dead radio or some other dead electronics piece that you should've thrown out a long time ago.
Changing out the resistors is fairly basic. Parts Express will even mail you the 2 resistors for free if you ask. Just post a message over on their website's tech talk board and they'll set you up on who to contact. I did mine and it took me all of half an hour to do. Just change R26 from an 18k resistor to a 56k and R27 from 180K to 120k. If you don't want to wait the couple of days it takes to get them from Parts Express, you should be able to get them from your local Radio Shack, although Parts Express will send you them for free, and I liked that price. Just make sure you get ones that are rated at 1/4 watt.
The equipment you need for soldering is just a few items. Radio Shack will have an ~25watt iron, the solder(I bought standard 60/40 .032 diameter rosin-core solder), and a little desoldering pump. It also helps to have a magnifying glass on hand to read the resistor id numbers on the board of the amp if you're half blind like I am.
Edit: If you want to make absolutely sure if the boost is there or not, just track down the resistor locations on the circuit board and get the values from them by the color codes. Oh, you're not sure how to do that? Then just check out this table for Link Removed .

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

After further reading the literature the bass boost is off

Sal,

Thanks for the links those will help in the future

Lee

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to add that I received my PE 250W plate amp Tuesday. When I placed the order I simply added a note in the Comments box to eliminate the bass boost all together. When I received it the Technician included his business card with a note on the back stating that he had made the change!

I can't wait to get the back ordered DVC 12 and 4" Aeroport!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks