1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PE Amp Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Kanyak, May 10, 2002.

1. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

I'm supposed to get my Pe 250 watt amp on Tuesday!!! They extended the sale price for me Woo-hoo!!! Now my question is should I still keep it wired at 8ohms with both of the voice coils or should I connect the voice coils in parrell into a 4 ohm load? Which option would give the best bang for the buck??? Thanks guys!!!

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Parallel and 4 ohm.

Pete

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

frank, how did you get them to extend that price to you??

4. Frank Kanyak

I just called about the availability of the product. The salesperson said that they were out of stock(probably due to the sale) and the price is back to $135. After they said that all I asked was if they could extend the sale since I missed it last week. They checked with their supervisors and they granted an extention but I had to order within the 12hr period. According to the email I got last night it will be here Tuesday!!!

5. Frank Kanyak

Thanks Pete, can you answer me why parrell and 4 ohm is the better of the two?[​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

More power.

7. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

If you're trying to drive two 8 ohm VCs, you can run each one to a seperate amp for an 8 ohm load, or series wire for a 16 ohm load, or parallel wire for a 4 ohm load. As Pat said, more power. I think the amp you mention is rated at ~180W/8 ohm vs 250W/4 ohm.

Pete

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

It is rated at 250W RMS at 4 ohm but I think during a bench test it produced 272W RMS at 4 Ohm. Talk about a powerful little amp! I bought one at the $99 sale price, even though I already have one, couldn't pass up that price. Just waitin' for money to buy a Tempest! [​IMG]