What's new

Parasound Dropping Out (1 Viewer)

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,
I purchased a Parasound 1205A used last year and have not had any problems until recently. I have begun to notice some channels dropping out and breaking up. This happens at normal listening levels. When I run the pink noise generator from my Outlaw 950 some channels may not play it or they may play it for a second and "drop-out" or breakup until the next channel. Lately, it has been most consistent on one channel of the amplifier but it has occured on others. I have removed and reconnected all connections and have eliminated the 950 as the problem. I have also tried different power outlets and removed all other electronics from the same circuit. Does anyone have any other ideas? I might crack the case open and blow out any dust that may have collected just to see if it helps.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
Update!

After doing some research I found out that others were having this problem as well. The trouble stems from the ouput relays both on older 1205A and 806A.

I spoke with Tony at Parasound today. Very friendly person. Since my warranty was void (bought used) I asked if they would sell me the five relays so that I could replace them myself. It was not a problem! I am faxing my info to them and they will be sending them my way. For the 1205A the relays are $15 each.

Jason

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Jason,
So that link to other Parasound owners I sent helped "Diode1"
If you have not yet ordered the relays, It maybe cost effective to open up the amp since you will have to anyways & get part numbers from the relays.
Maybe they are nothing more then off the shelf relays that
could be purchased also from digi-key.com
Just an idea.
Jerry

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,
Yep. He was having the exact same problem I was. Thanks again for that link. That's a good idea about the relays. I'll check them tonight when I get home.

Thanks,
Jason

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
This might be helpful to me. I have a Parasound 855 that seems to be clicking. The red light does not come on but there seems to be no output from the channel. I believe it is channel 2. Is this similar to what was going on with you?

Jeff

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeff,
It might be. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Sometimes it drops out almost like someone is fiddling with the wires. Here is a description of the same problem I had from someone else who was having a similar problem:

"I have a model HCA-806A from Parasound. I am having intermittent sound issues with this 6 channel amp.

I will be listening to sound fine for a while and all of a sudden the center channel and the R/L front chans will cut in and out.

It will come back by itself if I crank up the volume, but as soon as I turn it down to a normal listening level it starts cutting out again.

Also the best chance at making it go away for a bit is to turn the power off then on. (a few times)

If I leave it at normal levels it could be 2 minutes before the sound comes back but it clips of and on alot.

If I go up and tap certain spots on the top of the amp, the sound comes back as well.

I leave the amp on 24/7 now because when it is cold it is really bad and frustrating until it warms up."

Does that sound familiar?

-Jason

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Jason,

Wow there are some similarities there. The amp that is in question has one output going to the electrostaic panel of my Martin Logan and another output is going to the bass module of that speaker. The panel, that is hooked to output 2 of my parasound seems to be the problem. I am going to switch the wires around to see if it is the 2nd channel tonight when I get home.

What seems to be happening is that the panel is on sometimes and then off sometimes. When I am in the den, that is where all my equipment is, I am hearing this clicking noise come from my amp. The red light does not come on, but there is a clicking noise. I think it is going to end up being the amp. I did buy my amp used off of Audiogon, so I know that there is no warranty. If it turns out to be my amp, can I get the phone # of the person you spoke with. I would definitely be willing to replace some things if that is what is wrong.

Thanks,

Jeff Aguilar

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
No problem Jeff. The number for Parasound support is 866-770-8324. I talked to Tony.

Last Update:
I got the five relays from Parasound in the mail yesterday. They had 8 pins but the old ones had 6. I called Tech Support and talked to Tim. He told me to just snip off the extra ones. I did that and replaced all five relays in about three hours. I had to remove all five boards from the amp and then remove the boards from the heatsinks. So far, everything works great! I haven't had an indepth listening session yet but I am hopeful that this has fixed my problem. I hope this thread helps anyone else who may have experienced a similar problem with his amp.

-Jason

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Jason,
Did you take note of the make & part number to those new relays prior to installing them?
Someone may benefit from that info.
Jerry

NicholasL

Second Unit
Oh my god you made my heart stop when i read the title "parasound dropping out." i guess it's because i only just read about the unfortunate news regarding Tag McLauren. Sorry, this has nothing to do with your actual question. you just scared the crap out of me.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Last Update:
I got the five relays from Parasound in the mail yesterday. They had 8 pins but the old ones had 6. I called Tech Support and talked to Tim. He told me to just snip off the extra ones. I did that and replaced all five relays in about three hours. I had to remove all five boards from the amp and then remove the boards from the heatsinks. So far, everything works great! I haven't had an indepth listening session yet but I am hopeful that this has fixed my problem. I hope this thread helps anyone else who may have experienced a similar problem with his amp.
I'm impressed that Parasound sent the parts out. Heck, look at the Denon upgrades - the receivers had to be sent in for the upgrade and it seems like replacing the relays may have been more complicated than a Denon receiver upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks