What's new

Paradigm...... could there be anything more? (1 Viewer)

EdwinL

Stunt Coordinator
I've been given the oppourtunity to purchase a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 or 11s (v. 3) for an extremely low price of $600.00. Given the class these speakers are in, could I find anything (absolutley any brand) better in quality (for Music only!) other than these?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Speakers are in some ways personal (i.e. you may love them & I may not). Although I own Paradigm's studio series, I was not a big fan of the monitor line when I auditioned them. However, many other people have purchased these speakers and enjoy them a lot. My advice is if you like them, get them ($600 is a great price). There is a ton of competition in this price range so listing alternatives would take a few pages...

DonJ

Second Unit
I own the monitor 9's and at that price get'em and the answer is no IMO nothing competes with them till you get to the 1500.00 range

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
$600...
What's the MSRP on those?
For that much and "Only music listening" I would also consider studio recording reference monitors like JBL, M&K, and perhaps Mackie.
Why not get the loudspeaker that the sound recorders listened to the music on. :)
I never heard those Paradigms but I've auditioned the Studio 100s and liked them a lot.

When I was auditioning speakers a couple of years ago I tried Paradigm, Vandersteen, Sound Dynamics, and B&W. My budget, though, was around $1200. I ended up with the Paradigm Reference Studio 60 series speakers.

In your budget range you might consider the Vandersteen 1. They sell for $700 (at least they did when I was looking) and sounded great; personally I would have chosen them over the Paradigm Monitor series. Ultimately I decided against them since I wasn't sure they would mate well with my existing equipment. I would also check out Axiom. They have some great speakers in your price range.

Don't feel pressured to buy right away simply because you can get a "good" deal. Speakers are a very important part of your system. Spend some time adutioning. My biggest mistakes, and I've made many of them in this hobby, were buying equipment without comparing them to anything else. I usually end up spending more since I had to take a loss reselling what I didn't like and buying what I should have bought in the first place. And almost all of these items were highly regarded. They just didn't work for me.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
If that's your budget and what you wanna do is listen to music, I'd suggest getting bookshelves/standmounters rather than floorstanders. I don't know about the Monitor 11's, but I've auditioned the Monitor 9 before and found that its midrange is harsher than I'd like, and the overall sound just wasn't really crisp/clear, as if a veil was over it or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks