Panny E80 DVD recorder on order..but wondering if I should switch to Philips 985?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alf S, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Apr 23, 2000
    I ordered the Panasonic E80S recorder based on some research and other folks input and it seems like the logical choice, but now I see I can get the Philips 985 for much cheaper.

My main concern as I've mentioned before is the ability to EASILY create and edit, and copy home videos from VHS/ 8mm etc. to DVD.

I realize that the 80gig hard drive that comes with the 80 is supposed to make viewing and recording much handier...but nowhere on the web can I find concrete info talking about the ease of editing (creating menus, chapters etc) w/ the 80. Can the 985 handle lots of editing w/o a hard drive to help in the process?

I see the 985 offers the DV input and VCR+ and the literature makes it appear to be user friendly when creating home video compilations.

Since my E80 is on backorder, I'm willing to listen to a few more pro/cons of both machines..I'd really like to hear from 985 users and their experience editing. Is missing a hard drive a hinderance(sp)??

I also saw the DVDRW compatability site that tells you which home DVD players play DVD+R ok ..luckily my two players show they will play I see many other brands will.

Any last thoughts?

Thanks for listening and all the help folks!
  2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

May 8, 1999
    Isn't the 985 an older model? I've seen mixed reviews on so I don't know what to say about it. I ordered the E80. I have an HP +R/RW writer on my pc and the dvds I burned with it play on my old Sony and my Mom's old Toshiba ok. The +RW didn't play on the Toshiba. +RW did play on a friend's brand new Toshiba. So if you edit on the +RW (I don't think you can edit on the 985 before burning a +R) you may have issues playing on other machines. It appears the files on a +RW are different than a +R (atleast named differently).