What's new

Panny DVD-S77 and Denon AVR- 3803 PCM digital output question (1 Viewer)

Got this new Panny DVD player and as part of the set up of the S77, I need to set the PCM digital output so that it's compatible with my other equipment ( I assume this only means the Denon Receiver). Anyway, I need to choose between Up to 48, 96 or 192 KHZ. Which do I choose? I am connected via an optical cable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For DVDs, you don't want it set to PCM for the digital ouput, you want it set to "bitstream" or "normal".

For the audio formats such as CD, I believe you can set it to 192kHz, because it will only output whatever is encoded on the disc regardless of that setting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

For DVD-Audio, you will need to use analog connections.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, set it highest for audio and you get whatever the source is.

If you set it lower and the source is actually higher than what you have it set to, the source will dither it to the lower resolution.

for DD and DTS, bitstream is the proper setting. Well DTS works with PCM as well, but DD or at least DD 5.1 cannot be passed by PCM.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S77 hooked up to my AVR-3300. I set the Panny to 96kHz to match what my Denon will handel. According to the product sheet for the 3803 (http://usa.denon.com/1367.asp?archivedModelSearch=true&archivedCategory=AV&archivedModel=AVR-3803&imageField.x=16&imageField.y=7), you can go to 196.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks