What's new

Panasonic RV31 displays "CLOSE" when powered on (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,

My Panasonic DVD-RV31 DVD player is approx 1.5 months old, and I can't recall this problem happening when I first bought the unit. Occasionally, when its first powered on the unit will display the word "CLOSE" on the unit's display (not on-screen). My only remedy seems to be to power off, then back on. That will allow me to continue on as normal.

Anyone else experience this? Any remedies?

Thanks!

-Brett.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Anyone?

An addition to my previous post: I sometimes power off the unit without pressing STOP first. Could this be the source of my problem? Do you have to press STOP every time you power off?

(Couldn't find anything about this in the manual...)

Thanks,

-Brett.

Tom Herman

Auditioning
I have noticed similar peculiar behaviour on the RP56, when I am trying to turn it on/off as part of a remote Macro.
note-
Ser. No. FG1HA016249.
Mfr Date August 2001.
Firmware version V065 45W045.
To view a player's firmware version,
- on the PLAYER, press and hold the Pause, Stop, and Open/Close Buttons at the same time.
- while pressing them, press 7 on the remote control.
Let me denote:
D-ON = Discrete Power On (Cinema7 advanced code 022).
D-OFF = Discrete Power Off (Cinema7 advanced code 026).
T-PWR = Toggle Power On/Off (standard remote function).
When I do repeated discrete power on-off (no disc in tray),
D-ON : After initial "welcome" greeting, "No Disc" is displayed, everything normal.
D-OFF : normal.
D-ON : After initial "welcome" greeting, tray "CLOSE" is continuously displayed and player gets "stuck" or "hangs".
D-OFF
D-ON : "CLOSE" is continuously displayed and player is "stuck".
D-OFF
This "stuck" state persists, no matter how many D-ON and D-OFF I do.
However,
T-PWR: toggle power ON, "CLOSE" is continuously displayed and player is "stuck".
T-PWR : toggle power OFF.
T-PWR : toggle power ON, "No Disc" is displayed, everything normal.
Normal operation occurs from now on, providing I use only T-ON to toggle the power on/off.
Apparently there is some hiccup in the unit's firmware. This is a PITA insofar as a "power On" macro is concerned, because obviously discrete ON and OFF is preferable when using macros.
I returned the first player, thinking it was a broken tray, but my 2nd player did exactly the same thing, and then I figured it out.
I would appreciate someone else trying to reproduce this behaviour, and noting your player's Date of Manufacture and Firmware Version.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Tom,

I'm at work now but I'll be sure to supply the requested info when I get home. Also, like you, I'm using discrete power codes within macros, only difference is I'm using a Radio Shack 15-1994. From what I gather, these two remotes are mostly identical. (The 022 and 026 codes sound very familiar.)

I'll update this later on this evening.

Does your scenario only occur when there's actually no disc present, or also when a disc is loaded?

Thanks,

-Brett.

Tom Herman

Auditioning
Verrry interesting. The panasonics may all share a common glitch when using discrete power remote commands.

I forget what happens when a disc is present -- I'll have to try it when I'm at home.

Todd_C

Auditioning
Tom,

I have/had the same "close" problem with my Panasonic RV-80 using a pronto and the discrete on/off codes. I've isolated the problem to the discrete power off code. For instance (if I remember correctly) when I power off using the discrete code without first stopping the disc, then try to turn the player on (discrete code or the remote's normal power button) I would get the "close" problem. However if I turn the player off with the "normal" power code then power back up using the discrete on code, I wouldn't get any "close" error regardless if I stopped the disk or not.

Hope this helps

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Discrete off also causes the "close" bug to appear on the Panasonic RP-56. I seems that discrete "off" as we are using does not cause a proper shutdown sequence like the power on/off toggle. The problem happens whether or note I stop the disc prior to discrete off. Makes for a mess in macros. My current work around is to go ahead and use the discrete "off" so I get a very quick universal shut-down macro. For a pseudo discrete on I do a play, delay, power toggle, delay play sequence. This takes longer to turn on but forces a normal power off toggle to clear the error.

The fast Toshiba pseudo discrete OFF of play-power toggle doesn't work well for the RP-56 because unlike the very quick response of Toshiba's the power toggle won't get recognized by a RP-56 for several seconds after power on caused by play.

Brett_H

Second Unit
My player has a firmware version of V065 45C373. I can't get to the rear of the unit easily to find the date & serial #.

I've verified the series of events that cause this:

Discrete off

On (Either toggle or discrete)

Guy, maybe a different method for this particular part of the "Turn everything off" macro would be:

Discrete on

Power toggle

This would ensure that the unit is in an "on" state, then turn it off using the toggle which seems to work around this glitch. I think I'll try that later tonight....

Thanks,

-Brett.

Side note: just another example of why I love this forum! I'd have most likely been scratching my head for a LONG time before I traced this glitch to this specific series of events!

Now if I coul just find out why the discrete on/off codes for my Yamaha RX-V870 receiver aren't working...

Tom Herman

Auditioning
On my RP56, I just did 6 repetitions of the sequence:

- Discrete Power ON

- Toggle Power, to turn it off

and the RP56 works fine -- did not get stuck on "CLOSE" tray.

I also tried it with the AVIA disc in the tray, and the sequence continues to work fine.

So, this is the appropriate Macro workaround to avoid the stuck "CLOSE" state. I suppose occasionally the "Toggle Off" will miss, but at the next Theater Power Up, it will get set straight with the Discrete On.

=================

Guy, if you read this, perhaps you have a comment on the following -- I posted this observation in another forum :

The RP56 apparently cannot do an "A-B" repeat of any AVIA test pattern. Owner manual says (I paraphrase) "some discs may not be able to repeat, and those discs will not show a time remaining display".

The "repeat on" icon on the AVIA disc has no effect, either.

Yet, my prior Tosh SD6200 player had no problem with any of this.

This is maddening when trying to setup a pattern that is changing, eg Flashing Bars, that you cannot simply Pause.

Has anyone discovered a work-around for this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks