Panasonic RV-32 or Pioneer DV-353?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

My father is looking to buy a DVD Player and so far we found good prices on these 2 models.

The Pioneer is about 30$ (Cdn) cheaper than the Panasonic and he'd like to know if there is any difference between the 2 that would make the Panasonic worth the extra 30$. Any reliability/compatibility issues with any of these?

He doesn't have a surround setup so stereo through the TV's Speaker audio performance is important here. Any special DSPs that fool the ears to sound like 5.1 or those Dialog Enhancer options could be useful (And will be tried).

The TV he's going to hook it up to is a normal (Non-HDTV, Non-Prog) 27" Sony Wega (Anamorphic Squeeze Capable) Using Component Video Cables so is there is any known issues with Component Video output on these?

Is the Panasonic worth the extra 30$ for him?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Martin, Panasonic and Pioneer generally have a good reputation for making reliable DVD players. For your father's purposes, I think either player will perform very well. I have not heard of any performance issues with either model, but do a search here and on other similar web sites for more information (e.g., www.avsforum.com). Also, you might want to check www.crutchfield.com for some good information on these players.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The RV32 can be shipping for around $99.00 on Amazon right now. I have it in my bedroom and have been pleased.

4. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor