What's new

Panasonic RP91 Vertical Shifting Problem (1 Viewer)

JamesFG

Auditioning
I have a Panasonic DVD-RP91 DVD player hooked up to a Mitsubishi WT-46809 16:9 HD-ready TV. When I view anamorhpic widescreen DVDs that have a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the letterboxing bar at the top of the screen is much smaller than the one at the bottom of the screen. When 1.85:1 aspect ratio anamorphic DVDs are viewed, approximately 1/2" of the top of the picture is cut off. It seems as if the DVD player is throwing up images onto the screen that are shifted 1/2" too high. I know that it is not an overscanning problem with the TV. The DVD player is causing this problem. With other sources, such as VHS and laserdisc, there are no such vertical shifting problems, as the letterboz bars are of equal height.
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced such a vertical shift with the Panasonic RP-91 and if so how is the problem remedied? I also experienced the horizontal shifting to the left as many others have, but I addressed that problem with the stop button and joystick fix. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Drea Bruss

Grip
James,
I'm seeing the exact same thing on my Pioneer SD-532-HD5. I noticed that the problem is gone if you switch to interlaced output on the RP-91. Just push the progressive scan button and you'll see it. I think that it has something to do with how the set "interprets" the 31K scanning frequency of the player. I remeber something when Obi first encountered the left shift thing with his RP-91, his fix was to change something with the set, until the joystick/stop button fix was discovered. Could the same type of adjustment work in the vertical direction as well?
Anyone have any insight??
Drea

Drea Bruss

Grip
James,
I have this exact problem with my Pioneer SD-532-HD5. I've noticed it only happens with progressive scan. If I press the prog-scan button on the player and use the interlaced output the shift corrects itself. I thought I remember Obi changing something on his Elite to compensate for the left shift problem, prior to the stop button fix being found. I think it has something to due with the way the TV "interprets" the 31K sacnning frequency.
Anyone have any thoughts?? Any ISF guys out there that have a clue what might be happening.
Drea

Robert George

Screenwriter
My experience is the vertical shift with a progressive signal is related to how a particular monitor reacts to a progressive signal. I have encountered the vertical shift on three different DVD players (Toshiba 6200, Panny RP91, Sony 700).
Yes, I used the service menu in my PRO-710 to adjust the horizontal position on the progressive input because that particular monitor allows this on the 31kHz input separate from the 15kHz input (interlaced). if I had to do it over again, I'd use the "joystick" adjustment in the RP91.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks