Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I picked up a Hitachi 32UDX10S the other day and have been running it side-by-side with a JVC 32260 analog set.
    I have analog cable and a Panasonic RP91 DVD player. My goal was to see what, if any, difference I could tell in PQ by going to a 480p/squeeze capable set.
    I have the Hitachi/RP91 connected with component cables and the JVC/RP91 with Svideo. (RP91 connected to the Onkyo 989 via digital coax).
    I've spent quite a bit of time calibrating both sets with Avia and VE. The Hitachi holds black much better than the JVC on the pluge tests.
    I had to disable progressive scan in order to see the blacker than black bar on the pluge tests using VE. It showed up ok under Avia... although not very black... just darker than the other vertical bar.
    Comparing color decoders after calibration:
    ..........Hitachi...........JVC
    Blue..... 00%...............-05%
    Grn......-15%...............-15%
    Red......+03%...............+10%
    I had to dial down the JVC brightness to get both sets close in overall brightness. Also, the JVC could not hold black between the large and small pluge tests. So I figured it didn't matter too much on that set anyway.
    Here's the final 5 settings:
    ..............Hitachi............JVC
    Color.........28%..............-4 dots
    Tint..........+02 dots.........-2 dots
    Contrast......75%.............. 0
    Bright........53%..............-6 dots* (0 for small pluge test)
    Sharpness.....25%..............-7 dots
    "*" - the -6 setting was after reducing brightness so that both sets appeared to have about the same level of overall light output.
    The Hitachi sharpness control had little effect on the sharpness test. The JVC had a lot. Neither set would bloom at high contrast levels. And I saw little or no line bending on either set with the needle pulse test.
    Both sets are very close in PQ. I can tell the Hitachi definitely has an edge in cable and a slight edge in DVD. But not knock your socks off better. If I look for it, I can generally see it, and sometimes it stands out.
    Thus far I've just had Avia, VE, Toy Story, Jungle Book, and James Taylor/Beacon Hill for DVDs in this comparison. I need to go get some anamorphic DVDs and try again.
    I cannot tell any difference in PQ switching the PS on or off. I guess the built in line doubler on the Hitachi takes over when I switch PS off on the RP91.
    The JVC loses with the red push, but still has a surprisingly good picture, especially with DVD. Still, the Hitachi digital set generally showed slightly but generally better PQ.
    The Hitachi has some problems; faces appear out of proportion. I measured some video test circles: Avia showed 15.5" wide vs 14.75" tall. That's 3/4" out of whack. The same test on the JVC showed within 1/16" (14 3/4w x 14 11/16h).
    In addition, the Hitachi has a left shift in the picture which will need to be adjusted by a tech. But this will probably be fixed with the proportion adjustment above.
    Also, the Hitachi appears to have a slight greenish cast when looking at some of the step tests where there is a lot of white.
    I've called national Hitachi and a local svc center to check and was told there was no service menu I could access to adjust this myself. Said it would take a svc call and a physical entry to the set to fix these problems.
    I was hoping to see a definitive edge to the digital set with both the squeeze and 480p input. At this point, I can only see a *slight* edge with DVD and a distinct.. but not killer edge with cable. That doubler must do a pretty nice job on cable.
    I'd have to conclude that digital is not a killer must have on the 32" scale. But it is definitely a nice-to-have option.
    Oh yeah. Cost. [​IMG]
    JVC 32260 - $500 + sales tax at Sam's Club.
    Hitachi 32UDX10S - $1199 + sales tax at CC.
    Hope some of you found this of interest.
    ------------------
    --RR

2. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    I did, as I've been considering the Hitachi set. Thanks Rick.

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Well, well, well. It's interesting how your perspective changes, isn't it?
    Tonight we watched U571... in all its splendor and anamorphic glory. NOW I see the difference.
    Even my wife, (a non-gadget person) noticed the difference between the analog JVC and the digital Hitachi. She said the PQ on the JVC looked like a "B" movie.
    This was the kind of killer difference I wanted to know if I could see or not. And I was glad my wife noted the difference too. [​IMG]
    I stand corrected. Even at the 32" level, a digital set offers significant benefit over an analog set. You just have to have the right source to experience the difference.
    ------------------
    --RR